broken fullsize stem...using neck sizer instead...

Bigeclipse

Is there any issue if I full length size my brass with out the stem in it and then use my neck sizing die to size the neck to proper size? The reason I ask is I typically use my redding body die and neck sizer die for my fired brass but I aquired some once fired brass that will not chamber in my rifles chamber so I went to full size them and noticed my stem was bent. I figured I could simply remove the stem to full length size and then neck size with my sizer die. I did this to a few and it seems to have worked...brass chambers and necks seem right but I wanted to see if you all can think of any safety concerns. I'm not concerned about accuracy really just safety

Is there any issue if I full length size my brass with out the stem in it and then use my neck sizing die to size the neck to proper size? The reason I ask is I typically use my redding body die and neck sizer die for my fired brass but I aquired some once fired brass that will not chamber in my rifles chamber so I went to full size them and noticed my stem was bent. I figured I could simply remove the stem to full length size and then neck size with my sizer die. I did this to a few and it seems to have worked...brass chambers and necks seem right but I wanted to see if you all can think of any safety concerns. I'm not concerned about accuracy really just safety
Bigeclipse,
Are the neck and full length die from the same manufacturer? And are they standard or busing style or on of each?

Standard...the full length sizer is rcbs and the neck sizer is lee
Well swapping the stems is out. Try running the cartridge case through the FL die with the the de-capping rod removed then just run the neck over JUST the expander ball in the neck die and see if that will get you going until you can get a new de-cap rod. How old is the RCBS die? RCBS did change the diameter of their decapping rods awhile back and new style is smaller in OD than the old. You will have to contact RCBS to get the old style if that is what you have.

Well swapping the stems is out. Try running the cartridge case through the FL die with the the de-capping rod removed then just run the neck over JUST the expander ball in the neck die and see if that will get you going until you can get a new de-cap rod. How old is the RCBS die? RCBS did change the diameter of their decapping rods awhile back and new style is smaller in OD than the old. You will have to contact RCBS to get the old style if that is what you have.

I bought the dies used so no idea on age...

You should be fine. I do not use the expander ball on several sets of brass.

The caveat is that you must ensure the neck openning is sufficient to allow bullet seating without undue force.

The expander ball ensures the neck openning is consistant no matter what the neck wall thickness is. If wall thickness is consistant from either using high quality brass or neck turning, neck sizing with bushings yields better concentricity between neck and body.

Here's a good read on the subject:

The Rifleman's Journal: Reloading: Two-Step Sizing and Concentricity

You should be fine. I do not use the expander ball on several sets of brass.

The caveat is that you must ensure the neck openning is sufficient to allow bullet seating without undue force.

The expander ball ensures the neck openning is consistant no matter what the neck wall thickness is. If wall thickness is consistant from either using high quality brass or neck turning, neck sizing with bushings yields better concentricity between neck and body.

Here's a good read on the subject:

The Rifleman's Journal: Reloading: Two-Step Sizing and Concentricity

That is why I was asking about using my neck die after full length resize. Basically I am full length sizing so the brass will chamber and then I am using my neck sizer with its own expander ball to make sure the necks are consistant sizes.

That is why I was asking about using my neck die after full length resize. Basically I am full length sizing so the brass will chamber and then I am using my neck sizer with its own expander ball to make sure the necks are consistant sizes.
Bigeclipse,
The problem is you may be sizing the neck twice. Try this, take two fired unsized cases. take the expander ball out of the LEE die. Now run one case through the LEE die and measure the OD of the neck. Do the same thing with the FL die with the decapping stem removed and measure the OD of the neck. Best case scenario would be if they are the same or really close. If the LEE die is much smaller than the RCBS see if you can polish out the neck sizing area of the die to what the RCBS measures. If the LEE die neck sized test case is larger than the RCBS you may just be good to go. Check with a concentricty gauge (if you have one) on the once fired case neck before you run it through the FL die, again after you run it through the FL and finally after running it through the neck die to see whats up and check the neck tension. You want to end up with .000 to .005 run-out on the neck.

Bigeclipse,
The problem is you may be sizing the neck twice. Try this, take two fired unsized cases. take the expander ball out of the LEE die. Now run one case through the LEE die and measure the OD of the neck. Do the same thing with the FL die with the decapping stem removed and measure the OD of the neck. Best case scenario would be if they are the same or really close. If the LEE die is much smaller than the RCBS see if you can polish out the neck sizing area of the die to what the RCBS measures. If the LEE die neck sized test case is larger than the RCBS you may just be good to go. Check with a concentricty gauge (if you have one) on the once fired case neck before you run it through the FL die, again after you run it through the FL and finally after running it through the neck die to see whats up and check the neck tension. You want to end up with .000 to .005 run-out on the neck.

Not to sound dumb but who cares if it is sized twice so long as the final size is the neck size which is what I normally load with? Just curious

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.