Bringing rifle back to US from MX hunt

You will show up to the port of entry and have the rifle in a case. Present it to the Customs officer at the port and they will run a NCIC check on the rifle. They will then fill out a CBP form 4457 which is a "Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad" for you. You then get in your vehicle and go the Mexican custom guys and present that form to them (they will kick you back to the US if you don't have it). You will do this going in and going out of the US.

Also, if you are brining a head or a hide back into the US, you will need to call the US port of entry ahead of time and ask them when their "AQI" will be on so they can inspect it. It's like the Customs version of fish and game. They only work certain days so if you don't call ahead and find out when they will be there, you can't get back to thE US with the head and hide and will have to wait hours or days in Mexico for when they will be working.

Last edited:
Just get a 4457 signed by a border agent before you go and bring it back is as simple as showing that with your rifle. The border agent will look at the 4457 and verify it against the serial number on your rifle and you're good to go. I always make sure to list all the optics I take on the 4457 as well just because if you don't and get the wrong agent, they could try to charge you taxes on your optics because they don't know if you owned them or bought them in the country you're coming from.

Going to Mexico with a firearm you need to have your outfitter send you your gun permit or a copy of it ahead of time. You will have your rifle checked when you enter Mexico by the military. Also, have a couple color photocopies of your passport in your gun case. It will save the military time from not having to do that and they greatly appreciate it.

I travel to Mexico to hunt at least once a year and it's not a hard process if you have all your documentation in order.

Hunted Mexico 2006-2016. Back then, Angadi Association had forms online you needed filled out. MAKE SURE your brass is head stamped to match your rifle. Also, getting your cape past US inspection is virtually impossible. My last 5 years, mounts were done in Mexico. Very good work and back then about 3/4s the price for equivalent job. We drove back and forth. Also, no unprepared food limited beer, drinks allowed from US. Adopted our rules more or less. Your outfitter should assist you here. Enjoy your hunt. Cartel moved into our area or I would still be hunting there. We had a great ranch owner and still stay in touch somewhat.

Just get a 4457 signed by a border agent before you go and bring it back is as simple as showing that with your rifle. The border agent will look at the 4457 and verify it against the serial number on your rifle and you're good to go. I always make sure to list all the optics I take on the 4457 as well just because if you don't and get the wrong agent, they could try to charge you taxes on your optics because they don't know if you owned them or bought them in the country you're coming from.

Going to Mexico with a firearm you need to have your outfitter send you your gun permit or a copy of it ahead of time. You will have your rifle checked when you enter Mexico by the military. Also, have a couple color photocopies of your passport in your gun case. It will save the military time from not having to do that and they greatly appreciate it.

I travel to Mexico to hunt at least once a year and it's not a hard process if you have all your documentation in order.
Shooter264 is on point here but I'll add it's easier if you get your 4457 prior by going to a customs office before traveling. I usually go to Sonora every January.
Also, There is a new rule/law this year 2022/2023 in Mexico for your optics. They require the scope to be added to your 4457 form as well, previously it was not required. Add the make, model and serial number. I suspect they will give you problems bringing your scope back if you do not do this. 100 rds of ammunition is also the limit. Allot of guys take more than they need and donate to the outfitter.

Last edited:
Great information everyone, thank you very much. My outfitter has the gun and optics listed on the gun permit form. I had heard it is a pain to bring stuff back to the US but couldn't find a definitive answer. This is all super helpful. Desert Sheep in Feb. - something I never figured I'd be doing but I guess if you want something bad enough...

D1649E05-EB8E-4D08-85E6-CE1DD34EE1B5.jpeg
Good luck. Killed this on three years ago in Mexico.

You will show up to the port of entry and have the rifle in a case. Present it to the Customs officer at the port and they will run a NCIC check on the rifle. They will then fill out a CBP form 4457 which is a "Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad" for you. You then get in your vehicle and go the Mexican custom guys and present that form to them (they will kick you back to the US if you don't have it). You will do this going in and going out of the US.

Also, if you are brining a head or a hide back into the US, you will need to call the US port of entry ahead of time and ask them when their "AQI" will be on so they can inspect it. It's like the Customs version of fish and game. They only work certain days so if you don't call ahead and find out when they will be there, you can't get back to thE US with the head and hide and will have to wait hours or days in Mexico for when they will be working.
I just returned from Canada, and the US Customs agent in Vancouver told me to complete an ATF Form 6 (online) before my next trip outside the country.

I just returned from Canada, and the US Customs agent in Vancouver told me to complete an ATF Form 6 (online) before my next trip outside the country.
That makes zero sense. Not saying you're wrong but think you received bad information. Why would you need to fill out an import permit for a gun you already own and purchased in the United States?? I'm thinking he was mistaken. A 4457 is all you should need.

That makes zero sense. Not saying you're wrong but think you received bad information. Why would you need to fill out an import permit for a gun you already own and purchased in the United States?? I'm thinking he was mistaken. A 4457 is all you should need.
He didn't explain what the form is for or why I should complete it, but I plan to look it up. I think the whole mess is just liberal US beauracracy at work, harassing citizens who hunt. I will say this, Canadian customs was much worse on our way into the country, It took us fully 3 hours to get through the whole 4 stage mess before we could check into our flight to Whitehorse on Air North. Fortunately, our outfitter had warned us to allow 3 hours between flights, and we had 4 hours.