Brendan's loooooong shot and the second time lucky stag!

please give some info or your rifle , looks like an RPA action and McMillan A4 stock but what barrel and caliber is it?? and above all what kind of suppressor is that , that thing is huge !!! I have some Titanium here that I considering building a suppressor for my next LR ring which will probably be a 30-338 Lapua improved or 7mm-338 Lapua Improved , we can't hunt with cans here in the US but it sure is fun to shot targets with them.

James,
The action is a NZ made Barnard action. I use a lot of these as they are a very rigid 3 lug action with a superb trigger available in several different sizes. In fact Kirby and I are working on a couple of projects based on his 338 AM at the moment using Barnards. They are available in the US from MT Guns. Yes, the stock is MacMillan. The barrel is a 30" Lilja 7mm chambered in 7mm/404 improved, pushing a 180gn Berger at 3400fps.
The supressor is custom built for me by Robbie Tiffen of www.gunworks.co.nz who does a superb job.
My opinion on your 2 choice of chamberings, go the 7mm version. Velocity verses BC the 7mm beats the 30 in the same case size ballistically everytime. You'd need to step up in capacity with the 30 to equal the longrange ballistics of the 7mm/338L. If you want a heavier bullet for closer shots on big stuff the 30 will have the edge, but longrange, the 7mm does it with less powder and recoil.
Greg

The Barnard is a nice action. I have one that I use at the other end of the spectrum – a 17 cal rifle. The three lug design draws heavily from the Hall benchrest action as well as other fullbore actions. As Greg has mentioned, the trigger that comes with this action is VERY nice. Its funny that Greg mentions working with Kirby on a project, because I was recently thinking how well suited this action would be for the 338 AM cartridge.

Great read again Greg , hey you write really well , maybe you should do it for a job :)
And thanks Fergus , i was definately on cloud nine that day .

Brendan

New Zealand stag

This may be one of those "you can't afford it if you've got to ask" trips, but what would a trip like this New Zealand stag hunt cost in American Dollars?

Great story and great photos. All the good things, including a few fantastic animals and a few fantastic shots. Thanks for sharing the information about the hunts and the weapon.

Hey there Gary ,
You wanna get in touch with greg (NZ Longranger), he would be one of NZ's best hunters , gun nuts and hunting guide , he could organise pricing for you , so far as stretching the barrels goes you would have a ball :)

Brendan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.