Breaking/Sighting in Hunting Rifle

"What I found was that the copper fouling actually protects the barrel and prevents the bullet from making contact with the barrel allowing the bullet to smooth out any machine marks, and the carbon actually scored the barrel and eroded the throat."

How can a copper bullet (softer alloy) smooth out machining marks down the barrel? Let's say at 18"-26" of the barrel?

What MudRunner said !!!

Also I can remember when all rifles were test fired 3 to 5 shots at the factory and not cleaned (Copper fouling was not removed) until the rifle reached its final destination to protect the bore
(All barrels were chrome moly and the copper fouling protected it from rust).

The owner was instructed to clean the barrel before shooting (Some were never cleaned).

As I have said before, This is a topic that will never be agreed upon so all we can do is debate the
issues and do/believe what we want to.

It would be an interesting pol to start if some wanted to get a consensus.

J E CUSTOM

What MudRunner said !!!

Also I can remember when all rifles were test fired 3 to 5 shots at the factory and not cleaned (Copper fouling was not removed) until the rifle reached its final destination to protect the bore
(All barrels were chrome moly and the copper fouling protected it from rust).

The owner was instructed to clean the barrel before shooting (Some were never cleaned).

As I have said before, This is a topic that will never be agreed upon so all we can do is debate the
issues and do/believe what we want to.

It would be an interesting pol to start if some wanted to get a consensus.

J E CUSTOM

Definitely! Someone should seriously set up a poll

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts