breaking a barrel

I'm not saying barrel break in is wrong. I totally agree that it will shoot great and clean up way easier when it is broken in.

I'm just saying that if you don't do the one-shot-clean method it will still get broken in after a certain # of shots. Maybe you wont know that exact moment because you shoot more rounds before cleaning, but it will be broken in.

Listen guys, I have my own routines that I'm a perfectionist about and I know I'm in the minority here, but for me it works. I'm not knocking any of your methods.

My routine on break in is to clean after every shot until my cold bore shot groups shrink down to
a respectable size. Some barrels have shot sub MOA from the start though and break in was
judged by how fast clean up became. With a good premium barrel such as Rock, Obermeyer,
Broughton (the three I use the most) and others, break in has taken no more that 35 shots. Most
of mine clean up with 2-3 patches.

One thing I have started to do is use the GRAFOIL treatment in my new barrels. It seems to make
the process of break in easier and quicker in my experience. After break in copper is noticeably
reduced and clean up is a breeze.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.