Breakdown of my DREAM rifle (what is yours?)

Had a rookie gunsmith reduce the trigger pull on that .375 to 3.5 pounds. Still a little tight but it shoots very well after all these years. While he looked rifle over he admired the beautiful hand checkering. Then said that it was like putting VW engine in a Maserati, or something like that. I've taken his word for it ever since. Thanks for the info.
I've tried to save a few bucks with amateurs before. It's always cost me more in the long run

I'm currently building a savage110lam with a mcgowen 32" 264wm 7.5twist savage magnum contour and a carbon6 30" 9twist 300wm on a savage 110 action. Long barrels too get those heavy bullets sped up. Hoping too get 33cal 300gr bullets going 3k making muzzle energy about 6k. 1 day I'll shoot a hog or a prairie dog with the 338lm. For now maybe just shoot them with a 45-70.
You sound like a fun person to shoot with! I've got a super heavy barreled 300 WM built on a Savage action. The gun is pretty ugly, but it shoots good

My dream rifle is always the one I just finished building.
So: This week I put one of my tried and true PacNor 280Ackley barrels on a new Origin from Bighorn, TriggerTech, in a new magnesium/carbon fiber chassis from MDT. PST Gen2 3-15x on top, MDT brake.
Dang those are some rad looking rifles! If you want to upgrade your bipod to a Spartan someday, DM me an I can get you a discount. As for this evening, now I'm going to research some of the products you used on your builds. Nice gear!!

I built a 260ai a couple years back, covers most of my hunting needs. Gen 1 rem ti action, 24" frozenfiber (benchmark liner) carbon wrapped barrel, Manners eh1, TT diamond trigger. Bld bottom metal with a 3" wyatt mag box. Nightforce direct mount and a vx6hd 3-18x50. Fairly light, balances just right and shoots very well, everything I need in a hunting rifle.

But the next one will be something with a really amazing hunk of walnut. Carbon and synthetics are great for a working rifle, but I want to build a wall hanger. Maybe a case hardened action. Still working on the specs for it.
I totally agree. Something else to consider is making a nice walnut stock for your 260ai. You can use it when you don't mind some extra weight, or if you have some easy hunts, then swap it out when you have a tough hunt. Just an idea

I think I'm on the 3rd iteration of the same gun:

Caliber: 338 Norma mag
Stock: gunwerks magnus
Action: kelby nanook or terminus kratos-light round bolt knob
Barrel: carbon wrap Bartline 20 in 9 twist
Bottom metal: Hawkins M5 BDL
Quality rings
Tanget Theata 3-15 tactical hunter TT315
Trigger: trigger tech
Suppressor : slincerCo 36M

My barrel tends to get shorter and my glass gets more expensive
That sounds like a cool rifle! I like seeing more folks hunting with suppressors

My dream rifle is always the one I just finished building.
So: This week I put one of my tried and true PacNor 280Ackley barrels on a new Origin from Bighorn, TriggerTech, in a new magnesium/carbon fiber chassis from MDT. PST Gen2 3-15x on top, MDT brake.
How's that hnt26 stock? I'm ready for 1, hopefully soon?

To be serious, I am getting closer to my dream rifle with every build. I have found things I like, and things I wish were different.
Me too and so true. I have built 16 custom guns over my lifetime. With each build I get closer to my "perfect". The fun thing is--it is perfect for me. I'm in my mid 40s and I am getting less and less juiced at wanting to build my next dream rifle. I enjoy seeing country--and helping other get critters on the ground--took two young ones to shoot their first rams last week---it was rewarding...yes hunting with a suppressor is awesome---i will not hunt without one now if I can help it. I have a suppressed 338 federal and it is a hit with kids..does a number on game too within reason. Short barrels wearing a suppressor--and good glass--is my perfect....

At 70, and having officially started the quest in my early 20"s, I have had what I thought were several "dream" rifles. There has never been one particular dream rifle that served all my various applications/requirements…LRH, mountain hunting, forest/brush, various forms of competition, dangerous game, varmints, small game,etc…..But for each application, the "dream" rifle at the time seemed to be fleeting, continuously evolving with time and new developments. For the past couple of decades, my particular flavor of long range hunting has probably been one of the most demanding in terms achieving the "dream" rifle. While I surly have preferences for various components(and more then a few custom rifles), of my LRH rifles, in terms of ultimate success, I spend more time refining/defining my dream rifle criteria, then the specific components given the sufficient number of suitable choices which will get the job done quite well.
Criteria:
-sufficient weight/balance/ergonomics to confidently shoot sub .5MOA out to 1000+ yards from supported positions, off-hand capable at short range…hunting conditions; 70% from a stand, 30% carry. 10-13# total wt.
-Consistent cold/warm bore accuracy less then .5MOA for a minimum of 60 shots. Hold zero under all conditions. Minimum barrel life 1500 rounds. Minimum; .3 G7BC, 1800FPS/1000FPE @1000 yards. 2400 elevation
-high reliability/longevity of self replaceable barrel and action components.
-50:50 two stage trigger, total 2.5-3#
-premium optics: 5x20x50 minimum
While it may not meet every criteria listed, I will continue to refine this rifle further(ie. action/trigger), it comes as close to meeting/exceeding my criteria as I have experienced so far. It makes accurate LR hunting/shooting for me quite effortless, and the reliability and consistency has been excellent. The fact that it is ergonomically comparable to my 6.5x47 PRS competition rifle surely helps.
4ED980DA-81D0-415B-A08C-9CA6D1AC66CF.jpeg5E1B2EE9-E387-448D-BDF9-4EEAECB6BD15.jpeg

How's that hnt26 stock? I'm ready for 1, hopefully soon?
The feel of it is great. The fore-end encloses the barrel (think AR15) so it sits lower on the bipod by just a bit. Everywhere I normally touch when carrying a rifle in the woods is carbon fiber and warms to the touch so cold weather should be more comfortable than the aluminum Oryx. Lost about 3 pounds switching chassis. A little slimmer overall, so it fits in my Eberlestock pack scabbard a little better too. I'm pretty stoked.