Break in Ammo

yes you can ! also mite suggest a bore guide,1 piece cleaning rod,cotton patches or make your own, jag for cotton patches , powder cleaner , ie Hoppies #9, clean after every shoot for the first 10 rds, then after every 3 shots till you get to 20 rds, then clean after ever 5 shots till you get to 40 rds . if you follow this And that's totally up to you, you will see , hardly no power fowling, but will see copper following, buy Sweets, Barnes cr10, your choice , but follow instructions to the letter on Bottle. no soaking over nite , these are copper eaters and will not hurt your bore at all , if you follow makers instructions thks . moral of story a labor of love for your rifles barrel,can pay you back many many times,thru the life of your barrel , your smart by reading great luck ! thks bac.

If factory loads are available I use them. If there is a problem you don't void a warranty. It also gives you a little brass to reload (if it's decent brass).

I've read a lot and watched some videos and want to know
Can I use a box of factory ammo? Nothing special just like from Midway or something?
Thanks!
Yep. And using good factory ammo in good brass, is a plus, because while you're breaking in the barrel, you're also fire-forming brass to your chamber.

Do you plan to hand load for it?

If so, might as well break in your barrel with the brass you plan on using, so you will be fire forming to your chamber at the same time.

You can use cheap bullets if you want, but why not start your load development? At a minimum, seating depth, or even a ladder test.

I don't have time or the equipment to do load development so it's going to Copper Creek. I thought I would just shoot it into the hill behind my house and get the barrel
ready for them? Then set up to copy the load they come up with..
A buddy gave me 12 boxes of HSM 142 grain target loads. He said it's OK
not the best but OK. That should work..
6.5X284 Norma HSM-65X284-1-N 142 Hollow Point Boat Tail MatchKing

Last edited:
I don't have time or the equipment to do load development so it's going to Copper Creek. I thought I would just shoot it into the hill behind my house and get the barrel
ready for them? Then set up to copy the load they come up with..
A buddy gave me 12 boxes of HSM 142 grain target loads. He said it's OK
not the best but OK. That should work..
6.5X284 Norma HSM-65X284-1-N 142 Hollow Point Boat Tail MatchKing
That is a hell of a buddy to give you 12 boxes of ammo. Should last you a long time. Why bother with new ammo if that stuff shoots well. Different guns like different loads. Could be phenomenal in your rifle.

morning, shoot ur hunting loads, to check the improvement in accuracy.
as u break in barrel. some barrel markers will send a break in
info on the cleaning process. have fun shoot shoot, shoot.
gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.