Break action vs bolt action?

MSU Marksman

I'm considering getting into semi-long range (250 yards) pistol shooting and I'm curious what everyone's using and why. I like the switch barrel ability of the Encores, but I could do the same thing with a Savage. I'd likely leave out the XP100's for now because I'd really want to play with some different cartridges to see how they preform before settling on just one.

It is a well known fact that anything having to do with an XP cost hundreds of dollars to thousands of dolars to change or do whatever.

A Savage Striker costs me 0-$45. to switch barrels (cost of barrels) with chamberings in the same cartridge base. A few more bucks to change boltheads.
Changing boltheads on a Savage one can go from a 204 Ruger to a 460 Weatherby and requires a firing pin change as well but nothing on a Savage requires special tools or machining or more than $100.

I have hunted with the break opens since 1971 and know them inside out. Barrel changing is nice but they have gotten expensive. Scoping all interchangable barrels is very expensive at worst. However if you are changing barrels and scope that becomes time consuming as well.

The Striker is the most inexpensive system out there in every way conceivable including the scope. I now change barrels on all of my Strikers without removing the action from the stock or taking the scope off. I do not own a factory takeoff barrel that won't shoot 1/2" or better in 3 shot groups!
Neal

MSU,
For the distances you are considering now, the Encore is more than sufficient.

Neal gave you the versatility of the Striker already. He has had great success with them, and will give good counsel if yo go that way.

If I went with the Encore I would have MGM build a barrel for me that I wanted.

I personally do not like the trigger on the striker when it is in its mid-grip stock. If you went to a rear grip you have better trigger options.

Are you wanting this just for shooting, or would it involve varminting and big game hunting?

I use XP's (center & rear grip) or the MOA Maximum. MOA Corporation Homepage

The XP-100 which has a RH bolt is perfect for a lefty like me, and I just like them.

There are a number of ways to "skin the cat" when it comes to long-range.
If you could get with someone who has some experience at shooting distance your comfort level at shooting further, would increase quickly.

Welcome to the world of specialty handguns!

I prefer the break open platform because it's cheaper to get started and easily can reach the range you're trying to get.
Since I've started I've gathered quite a few barrels with scopes and they all shoot great, but like Neal said I've spent some money on barrels with scopes.
I'm happy with my setups though and can shoot farther/better than I can.
You can't argue with results:
For me, mine are doing great!
For Neal and Ernie...my setups wouldn't be enough.
Someday I'll get there.
Buy what you want and shoot it. If you get tired with it later, sell it and get what you've grown to want more.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.