brass

Hornady brass is not so bad. If people would learn to load the brass where it wants to be not where they want it to be they would be better off. Because brand A gets 3000fps does not mean brand B can get there and still hold primers

Every time I get Hornady brass the primer pockets have to be uniformed (not deep enough) and I wonder how thin the bass is afterwards. Going to measure some soon when I get back from fishing.

That's not much of a choice, I've seen primers pop on second firing with both. Luckily haven't loaded any for myself.

Of the two, I'd go with Hornady. I've actually had a pretty good experience with Hornady brass so far. Forms well in my 6.5 Sherman and 22-250 AI and haven't had a failure yet (4+ firings on each). Is it the best? Not at all, but for the price, it's working well for me. I'll probably toss it after the 5th firing in my 6.5 to be safe, then move on to the good stuff - Peterson!

The Hornady brass works fine in my two Grendel's after all the prep. I have eight reloads with two times of annealing, only four or five with neck splits using an AR platform.

Like I said I went through several years not being able to find 6 mm Remington brass so I'm thankful Hornady they was the only company where it was available I called Winchester and Remington they acted like they could care less then I called Hornady told them I had heard there wasn't going to be any more 6 mm brass he told me no problem they were going to keep producing it plus a lot of other hard to find brass people who say they won't use something are fooling them selves because might be all you can get or I guess you can always stay on the porch David

My order is Winchester, Hornady, Federal but only if those were my only options.
ADG, Alpha, Lapua and if I really have to Nosler.

For what my opinion is worth - I would say Hornady between the two. Caliber may matter?

I seat primers (CCI mostly, some fed, few Winchester) with a RCBS hand held primer.

I am on loading #7 of some 6.5CM Hornady brass, CCI primers still feel good/snug going in, none high, I check.

I have 10+ on some Hornady Match .308 brass, still loading them, (CCI, Fed, Win primers) just don't shoot 308 much anymore.

I have 5-6 loads on some Federal GMM brass a buddy gave me, CCI primers getting easy to seat by hand. [Edit: These are .308, necks getting stiff too, going to anneal once I empty them.]

Liked Nosler brass for my 30-06, have used Rem, Fed, Win, Nosler for that one. Currently have Winchester loaded but looking. Maybe I need to branch out?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.