Brass undersized by .020” :(

The brass case will yield early in the burn process so it is important to minimize any movement as previously discussed. :)

J E CUSTOM

Really, at 42,000 psi the chamber pressure is not great enough to make a 30-30 case stretch to the bolt face. The amount of bolt thrust depends on the diameter of the case, chamber pressure and the yield strength of the brass.

And "YOU" J E Custom have not provided any proven written information to backup you wild claims.

And please notice the link below is from this web page.

Pressures, Case Strength and Back Thrust
https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/pressures-case-strength-and-back-thrust.396/
By Bob Jourdan
©Copyright 2010, Precision Shooting Magazine

Back thrust, mentioned above, brings us to another consideration for cartridge cases used in experimentation or wildcatting. Even though we read of the chamber pressures being in the 50,000 c.u.p. range in most high powered cartridges, it has been proven that back thrust on the bolt is retarded by the fact that the case wall expands to grip the chamber wall, thus holding the case from backing up hard against the bolt.

Ackley's experimentation along these lines proved that a properly designed case will hold back a surprising amount of back thrust from the bolt and locking system of a rifle, but only when the chamber is kept dry. By oiling the chamber or cartridge case before firing, back thrust will be increased tremendously, and may even approach that of full chamber pressure.

Last edited:
J E CUSTOM

You are full of fecal debris and have no idea what you are talking about.

I feel sorry for new reloaders who read your postings.

On top of this the Senior British Armourer in the UK told me about this when I collected Enfield rifles. On the Enfield rifle Minimum headspace was .064 and Maximum was .074.

Pacific Tool and Gauge offers three lengths of headspace gauges per rifle caliber. In order from the shortest to longest, they are: GO, NO-GO, and FIELD:

GO: Corresponds to the minimum chamber dimensions. If a rifle closes on a GO gauge, the chamber will accept ammunition that is made to SAAMI's maximum specifications. The GO gauge is essential for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight, accurate and safe chamber that will accept SAAMI maximum ammo. Although the GO gauge is necessary for a gunsmith or armorer, it usually has fewer applications for the collector or surplus firearms purchaser.

NO-GO: Corresponds to the maximum headspace Forster recommends for gunsmiths chambering new, bolt action rifles. This is NOT a SAAMI-maximum measurement. If a rifle closes on a NO-GO gauge, it may still be within SAAMI specifications or it may have excessive headspace. To determine if there is excessive headspace, the chamber should then be checked with a FIELD gauge. The NO-GO gauge is a valuable tool for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight and accurate chamber.

FIELD: Corresponds to the longest safe headspace. If a rifle closes on a FIELD gauge, its chamber is dangerously close to, or longer than, SAAMI's specified maximum chamber size. If chamber headspace is excessive, the gun should be taken out of service until it has been inspected and repaired by a competent gunsmith. FIELD gauges are slightly shorter than the SAAMI maximum in order to give a small safety margin.

Below a set of nine .308 Winchester headspace gauges in .001 increments. And the SAAMI cartridge and chamber drawing lists headspace as Min and Max with .010 between the two.

rNoQCt0.jpg
Nice post !!! we all know how much you know so you keep doing what you do and I will keep doing what I do and hopefully some will see the reason I try to help.

I learned from experience and do not rely on what someones best friend of a distance cousin wife heard at the beauty Salon.

I do get comfort knowing that I am not only your physical superior but you have assured me by your own comments that I am also your mental superior. Because in stead of presenting an intelligent debate, you resort to name calling when you can't present anything but what someone told you and some drawings that are so wrong that you obviously drew them your self or found them in a coloring book. I personally don't think that many will believe anything that comes out of your mouth or your post, but if they do they will join the ranks of the uninformed and misled.

Have a nice day and enjoy the name calling, I don't have to resort to name calling and wont. I know that the quarantine has effected many, but it appears to be really bad for you.

J E CUSTOM

I bet elkaholic knows a little about straight side walls reducing bolt thrust. It's a fact ai Chambers hide pressure relating to hard bolt lift. You can juice them up and not see the pressure as bad.
Shep

I learned from experience and do not rely on what someones best friend of a distance cousin wife heard at the beauty Salon.
J E CUSTOM

If you learn from experience then show us your pressure testing equipment that shows bolt thrust in relation to headspace. You can't because you have no proof, in fact in over 48 years of reloading you are the first person to ever state the headspace effects bolt thrust. Its not in any reloading manual or in any written material ever published.

So how do you expect anyone to learn from your postings if what you post is garbage you made up. And when questioned about it you side step the issue and try to baffle us with bovine scat.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.