Brass Tumbler - Off-Grid - Questions

Eagle Six

Getting to the point......

- Those who are tumbling off-grid (battery - solar/wind/hydra power) may have the best answer......which brass tumbler works best for you?

But, also those plugged into the grid could answer some questions and it would be most helpful.....

- What tumbler do you use? (make and model)
- How many rifle cases to you tumble at a time?
- How long do you tumble?
- How much power and how many amps is your tumbler? (..or, volts and watts will do)

Some reasoning (fluff).....

I've done a lot of brass tumbling in the past.....just plug in the tumbler, turn it on, pay the power bill at the end of the month! Now, I'm off-grid on a solar battery bank with a backup generator. Now, everything I do is a balance of hand power and electric power and seems always to be a primary consideration. Amp Hours seem to be a consideration, in the forefront, of all the power tools I use. Also I'm on a well, and water consumption is always a concern as, well (no punt intended!).

The excuses (justification)

I'm out in the country and nearest city is a 230 mile run 1 way. I have zero local resources to scope out things first hand. If members can help me out with just a 1-2 minute effort checking out their favorite tumbler for a volts/amp rating it would be very much appreciated. Very few websites list the motor amps or watts on their tumblers. I'm not lazy, but limited in my visits to places like Cabela's, Sportmans Warehouse, Bass Pro Shop, Harbor Freight, etc. If anyone can help me reduce some of the foot work in the decision, I'm always up for returning the favor.

Thank You.

Best Regards.......Eagle Six

Getting to the point......

- Those who are tumbling off-grid (battery - solar/wind/hydra power) may have the best answer......which brass tumbler works best for you?

But, also those plugged into the grid could answer some questions and it would be most helpful.....

- What tumbler do you use? (make and model)
- How many rifle cases to you tumble at a time?
- How long do you tumble?
- How much power and how many amps is your tumbler? (..or, volts and watts will do)

Some reasoning (fluff).....

I've done a lot of brass tumbling in the past.....just plug in the tumbler, turn it on, pay the power bill at the end of the month! Now, I'm off-grid on a solar battery bank with a backup generator. Now, everything I do is a balance of hand power and electric power and seems always to be a primary consideration. Amp Hours seem to be a consideration, in the forefront, of all the power tools I use. Also I'm on a well, and water consumption is always a concern as, well (no punt intended!).

The excuses (justification)

I'm out in the country and nearest city is a 230 mile run 1 way. I have zero local resources to scope out things first hand. If members can help me out with just a 1-2 minute effort checking out their favorite tumbler for a volts/amp rating it would be very much appreciated. Very few websites list the motor amps or watts on their tumblers. I'm not lazy, but limited in my visits to places like Cabela's, Sportmans Warehouse, Bass Pro Shop, Harbor Freight, etc. If anyone can help me reduce some of the foot work in the decision, I'm always up for returning the favor.

Thank You.

Best Regards.......Eagle Six

My method will save you some kv. I own both rotary and vibratory tumblers and haven't used either for years. I see no benefit whatsoever to tumbling brass cases. I always start with new cases and they literally don't get dirty. I normally just clean the inside & outside of the necks and reload. Inside with brass brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool and outside with 0000. No stinkin' tumbling.

fine steel wool is great on brass.

if you are dead set on a tumbler I'm using a frankfort arsenal made in ,06 and it is 120v-.83a @ 60hz

it is the smaller blue one-- you can go to a hundred '06 type in it at once, maybe a bit more

UPDATE: Brass Tumbler - Off-Grid - Questions

fine steel wool is great on brass.

if you are dead set on a tumbler I'm using a frankfort arsenal made in ,06 and it is 120v-.83a @ 60hz

it is the smaller blue one-- you can go to a hundred '06 type in it at once, maybe a bit more

I went with the small Frankfort Arsenal as you suggested after contacting several manufacturers and checking with some other sights and reloaders.

It's pulling a tad less then rated at about .75 amps. Takes about 45 minutes to clean a hundred 308's and about an hour to polish. On a good sun day, I can do up about 400 rifle cases and close to a thousand pistol.

Best Regards.....Eagle Six

Re: UPDATE: Brass Tumbler - Off-Grid - Questions

I went with the small Frankfort Arsenal as you suggested after contacting several manufacturers and checking with some other sights and reloaders.

It's pulling a tad less then rated at about .75 amps. Takes about 45 minutes to clean a hundred 308's and about an hour to polish. On a good sun day, I can do up about 400 rifle cases and close to a thousand pistol.

Best Regards.....Eagle Six
Cool that it's working man.
I went on grid a bit more myself lately and bought a Chevy Volt.
It's a heck of a car and for my daily drive I don't use gas at all. I'm anticipating 40-50 dollars a month in electricity, but the gas savings pays for the lease(I was driving a Durango- still have it for hunting). The seats fold down nice for gun cases too.:D:D:D
Have a good one Eagle,
JK-- lefty7mmstw

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.