Brass shavings on bolt face

twoftagl

I've noticed my rem 700 shaving brass from I believe my extractor. It's a newer 300wm. Not sure if this is normal or not? Normally I wouldn't mind, but I think it's causing an occasional chambering issue.

About once every 50 rounds or so I have a round that won't close in the chamber the last 1/8 inch or so (just prior to bolt rotation). I pull the round, no problems noted then try again and it chambers just fine. I think what I'm getting is those shavings getting behind the extractor occasionally, keeping it from expanding enough to let the cartridge around the edge of the extractor.

Being unfamiliar with the extractor, does this sound plausible?

Replacements look cheap, but not sure if I'm going to end up with the same (or worse) problem with some other brand, and not ready to have major bolt or action work done (yet) if other extractor styles require major work. Any options I can try?

Chris

Two possibilities come immediately to mind If it's factory ammo .

The bolt face is slightly undersized.

You have a head space problem.

You need to get a gunsmith to look it over before you fire it again.

If it's reloads two possibilities.

1) your loads are too hot causing brass flow and expansion at the rim.

Are you seeing any other possible pressure signs?

2) As stated above you may need to bump the shoulder back a bit by setting your die a hair deeper.

It does it with both reloads and factory ammo (shavings). No pressure signs other than when testing for max loads, and didn't have the problem on extraction, only chambering a fresh round. Definitely not enough pressure to flow brass at the rim, esp since the only time the reloads were fired prior to chambering was the factory load.

It's a factory rifle, I wouldn't think headspace could cause the shavings, but could see how it could cause a hard-chambering issue. However, when the chambering issue occurs, it occurs a good 1/8 inch before getting to bolt rotation. Upon inspecting the round (nothing noted) and re-inserting the same round, something changes and allows it to re-seat with no problem whatsoever.

The only thing I can figure is the extractor is being prevented from going over the rim, since it's happening so far back, thus causing it to stop. Is that about the position that the extractor gets pushed around the rim of the case?

So far, all factory ammo is win super-x and all reloads are from those once-fired rounds. Shoulders were not bumped as there's no problem closing the bolt, no problems with tight brass before or after firing, even when starting to see other pressure signs testing max load.

WR- by bolt face being undersized, do you mean the inside diameter that fits around the rim while the cartridge base is against the bolt face?

Thanks for the help

Chris

Every remington I have ever had does this. It's just the way the extractor rides over the rim when you close the bolt. I never really figured out why there's so much love the 700's. I guess because there is so many after products to support it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.