Brass questions

BoomFlop

So I have only been reloading for a few months. Have only reloaded for two 223's with really good luck.

I purchased Starline brass (500) as I wanted to have something that seemed decent but not expensive enough that if I messed up a piece or two.

On this brass I sorted by overall length and ran a mandrel in the neck, trimmed to a uniform length, primed and loaded. Gotten loads from .28-.35 in one rifle and .5-.6 in the other rifle.

What would I gain by purchasing Lapua, Peterson or Alpha type brass?

Thanks
Steve

I have no doubt that Lapua is the best. My question is in regards to results. I have no problem spending twice as much if there is a difference on paper.

Thanks
Steve

So I have only been reloading for a few months. Have only reloaded for two 223's with really good luck.

I purchased Starline brass (500) as I wanted to have something that seemed decent but not expensive enough that if I messed up a piece or two.

On this brass I sorted by overall length and ran a mandrel in the neck, trimmed to a uniform length, primed and loaded. Gotten loads from .28-.35 in one rifle and .5-.6 in the other rifle.

What would I gain by purchasing Lapua, Peterson or Alpha type brass?

Thanks
Steve

Starline are a great cartridge. Iv run them in my 6.5 creedmoor. If your after workability, consistency and life, I would definitely go with Lapua or Norma.

I have no doubt that Lapua is the best. My question is in regards to results. I have no problem spending twice as much if there is a difference on paper.

Thanks
Steve
You probably will not see any difference on paper at 100 or 200 yards, but when you get way out there you MAY see a difference due to the consistency in volume of the Lapua brass. Also, like I said they last a long time.

Starline is good brass - I have purchased Lapua, Norma, Peterson, etc and really don't see any advantage. When I reload a new cartridge I buy Starline and don't look back.

I dont think you would see much difference.

I have really good results with once fired LC brass. It's harder than wood pecker lips. I sort by year lot, deprime, tumble, then weight sort to eliminate the outliers. I anneal the necks every firing, the pockets last a long time. I use 69gr smks as a general use bullet.

probably hard to see much difference at short range and because you did all the case prep.
in theory, you could make any brand of brass shoot great if you were willing to do extensive prep work. what you will find is higher end brass is more consistent from the start and takes less prep. cheaper brass has more cull pieces.
starline is middle of the road brass. I use it for the 350 Iegend and 45 raptor.

I agree that Star-Line brass is a good choice. Is it on a par with Lapua or the other high-end suppliers? No, but for most situations, punching paper or shooting steel at moderate ranges, it will do fine. Longevity, can't speak to this but will be learning more since they're the only suppliers of decent 224 Valkyrie brass. Would I prefer Lapua or ADG? Sure; but I did ask ADG if they planned to introduce 224 Valkyrie. No plans. So far, after 5 load cycles on the Star-line brass, no issues, primer pockets still tight and the brass looks good inside and out.

I may just do Lapua as I may end up spending the $30 difference in additional components trying to get a great group and wonder if it is the brass. Even though the 223's shoot under .6" everytime and my LTR hangs around .35" down to .28".

I dunno.

Steve

What are your accuracy needs and what are you looking to do with it?

Look into wez analysis that has been done by others. In the one done on PRS blog, at 1 moa wind starts to really outweigh decreases in group size. At .5 moa, wind causes way more misses than group size. Its fun to chase the smallest group. But for hunting purposes, the .75 moa realm seems to be about where diminishing returns really starts to kick in. Obviously this all glittering generalities until specific data is analysed.

In the last few years I've put more focus on developing better wind calls and I've experienced more success in varmint hunting and practice off the square range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.