Brass questions

I have no doubt that Lapua is the best. My question is in regards to results. I have no problem spending twice as much if there is a difference on paper.

Thanks
Steve
I can't see you gaining anything extra in accuracy...but you may get durability
So I have only been reloading for a few months. Have only reloaded for two 223's with really good luck.

I purchased Starline brass (500) as I wanted to have something that seemed decent but not expensive enough that if I messed up a piece or two.

On this brass I sorted by overall length and ran a mandrel in the neck, trimmed to a uniform length, primed and loaded. Gotten loads from .28-.35 in one rifle and .5-.6 in the other rifle.

What would I gain by purchasing Lapua, Peterson or Alpha type brass?

Thanks
Steve
Agreed 100 % with Mr. L.Sherm

I am interested in the best accuracy I can, within reason of course. Like if Lapua is going to make my groups better by .1 but costs twice as much. Or, is Lapua going to be .25" and Starline is going to be .75". That is kind of my question.

Luis

What kind of prep work? On the Starline, I ran a mandrel in the neck with dry neck lube, trimmed just to clean up the case neck with a Sinclair trimmer and weighed powder on Chargemaster Lite and seated a bullet. Those rounds shot under .6" in 2 rifles and under .4" always in the other with 10 power scopes.

Am I missing out by not uniformity primer pockets and de burring flash holes? I don't know if can shoot good enough to see the differences? I am all for doing steps that produce results, but not interested in doing something just because either.

Thanks all
Steve

Luis

What kind of prep work? On the Starline, I ran a mandrel in the neck with dry neck lube, trimmed just to clean up the case neck with a Sinclair trimmer and weighed powder on Chargemaster Lite and seated a bullet. Those rounds shot under .6" in 2 rifles and under .4" always in the other with 10 power scopes.

Am I missing out by not uniformity primer pockets and de burring flash holes? I don't know if can shoot good enough to see the differences? I am all for doing steps that produce results, but not interested in doing something just because either.

Thanks all
Steve
If your loads hold similar accuracy at distance just keep on steppin as stated by others lapua, peterson or adg will probaly require less prep and will most likely last longer but if you like the starline great go with it sounds like its working well for you

Here are some brass comparisons no Sarline listed but you could compare it to yours. i have had good results with Starline in other cartridges. For 223 I use Lapua and Lake City. L.C. is hard to beat for me- i have several lifetimes supply.

Luis

Thanks all
Steve

By prep work I mean trim, deburr, chamfer, work primer pockets, etc, all that work I personally dislike and dont have time for Lol. Some sort the brass by weight also.

Me personally I try to get brass that needs the least amount of work but I can tell you that when you put in the work to get the best out of the brass it'll help with consistency/accuracy.

If i were you I'd use up the starline brass and then give Lapua a try if you are still curious about it, you have some pretty good grpups going already so just use up what you have first.

Stay safe

I should have mentioned that I am needing brass for 7mm-08 and 308 Win.

I think I'll get the Lapua. 7mm-08 is like $100/100 (compared to $49/100) and 308 Win is like $77/100 (compared to $49/100). So in the end it's less than $100.

Rabbit hole! Hand over face. LOL

Thanks everyone as always!

I bought 5000 lc pulldown brass at 140.00 a thousand. All I do is flare them and load them they shoot great with any match bullet. 308 last brass I bought was IMI match brass for 300.00 a thousand I like to use military brass in both calibers. The problem is nobody has any for sale right now I'm glad I have lifetime supply and I don't have to worry it anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.