Brass questions

Snowbird

I'm looking to replace some brass with many loads on them and not seeing the deals i have in the past. typically i find norma on sale and buy a couple boxes but at the nearly $3 a piece i can't justify it. usually they come already loaded for that price. which brings me to the question of once fired brass. if i buy two boxes of nosler/norma 270 wsm and fire form it to my chamber for some trigger practice am i missing out on anything that new brass provides? i've done this in the past with other cartridges and not noticed a downside but i may be using these for load development and want to be certain of my findings before i base decisions off of them.

any thoughts on the subject?

I have had some of my smallest groups EVER with properly prepped NEW brass which wasn't repeatable after sizing them once fireformed.
Now, I DO NOT know why this occurrs, I have theories, but no hard and fast evidence as I could not repeat the curves I got over the pressure trace with once fired brass. Once fired brass with the same loads had harsher start pressures with completely different curves to the new brass.
Also, velocities were UP in the once fired brass.

The curves returned with the SAME LOT of NEW brass, as did the oblong holes it produced over a 10 shot string. (Oblong is the shape of the group, not the shape of the bullet holes).
Other new brass did NOT repeat this feat, however. It has occured several times now.

The curves appear to be softer, for want of a better word, and the rise under MAP is gentler, although MAP between the new brass and once fired doesn't vary much, the curves certainly do if you overlay them.

With all this said, I still think for consistency, once fired brass negates the results seen above, as reloading dies rarely bring cases back to factory specs and you would want to develop loads in stable brass, which in my view takes around 3 firings in most cartridges.

Cheers.
:)

Snowbird, do you know if you are allowed to import brass? Why I ask is because this company will export to the USA.
http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/
Looking on their website I see that they have Norma 270 WSM brass listed at NZ$131 per 50. Now that may sound no cheaper than your US supplier but bear in mind two things,
1, Our NZ dollar is currently worth around 0.68 US cents
2, The price I have listed includes 15% Goods and Services Tax (GST) that you would not have to pay. Remove the GST and it brings this down to NZ$228 per 100 cases. Convert this to US dollars and you get US$155 per 100 plus freight.
I have dealt with Outdoor Supplies in the past and they are reputable. If you are interested send them an email, all details are at the site listed above.

The difference I've noticed between new brass and fired brass diminishes if you anneal your case necks.
If you're going to buy loaded ammo, I would try to purchase the same lot so the brass should be more consistent

What cartridge are you shooting ?
Midway has lots of great brass on sell for less than $1.00 a piece.
Often they will clearance brass to make way for new stock.

The last time i bought 7/08 Lapua i paid $.87 cents a round.

The Norma 308 win is currently $63.00 dollars a 100.

J E CUSTOM

I have had some of my smallest groups EVER with properly prepped NEW brass which wasn't repeatable after sizing them once fireformed.

With new unfired cases and with a full length resized cases the case body does not touch the chamber walls. And the only part of the case that touches the chamber is the case shoulder.
This is where the expression "The cartridge should fit the chamber like a rat turd in a violin case".

Bottom line, if a reloaded case does not have the same accuracy as a brand new case then there is a very good chance the case warped on the first firing. And this is caused by unequal case wall thickness and the case expanding more on the thin side of the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.