Brass Prep for long range accuracy

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Steve Sheasly, Sep 11, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. shawnb

shawnb Well-Known Member

I would have thought shooting east on either side of the equator would do the same thing?!

I like your style of cleanliness and prep for brass. If i was loading lots of casings in rotation for the rifle i probably would do the same type of prep work you do to an extent. I only use 50pc at a time and id be to impatient to wait for them to be clean/tumbled, etc.

Its always good to hear others routines for reloading so thanks for sharing.

0.5 moa at 1000 is a good accomplishment. Congrats.

Bill Cauley Jr likes this.
  2. Bill Cauley Jr

Bill Cauley Jr Well-Known Member

This is just a guess on my part but as far as Coriolis think of it this way if you’re aiming south and north of the equator the earth spins to the left I believe if you were south facing north it would been to your right it all has to do with the rotation of your bullet which most barrels would be right hand rotation therefore it would act differently but just a guess I’m not sure, Also look up the Magnus effect it may further explain this phenomenon

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  3. MLN1963

MLN1963 Member

Shawn, do you clean inside the neck in any way before dragging the expander ball through the neck?

4. shawnb

shawnb Well-Known Member

I dont. I have a custom whidden full length die, non bushing, that gives me 2thou neck tension so no need for an expander. I wipe them with a cloth, lube and size, wipe again, and load more powder.

muleystalker likes this.
  5. SealTeam4

SealTeam4 Well-Known Member

The original video.

Joe S.

muleystalker, WiscGunner and Remmy700 like this.
  6. Bill Cauley Jr

Bill Cauley Jr Well-Known Member

It’s boils down to whatever works for you but remember he may compete against people who believe what he says which is advantage for him

7. MLN1963

MLN1963 Member

Okay. I used to do it that way but ran into some issues with my brass getting dinged up around the necks. I had to start running something through them to make sure the inside of the neck was round, especially near the mouth. I started with a mandrel and eventually went to an expander ball. In my application and use I couldn't see any differences on paper or steel. FLS w/ neck bushing and expander ball is just faster and more convenient for me. I don't grossly under size the necks, just enough that the expander is pushing any imperfections back to the outside that were pushed inside by the bushing. I think that is key to the expander not doing bad things to the neck alignment. YMMV

Bill Cauley Jr and shawnb like this.
  8. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Ahh, come on. He was giving em all free jugs of RL26. :D

9. wildhawk

wildhawk Member

I do

10. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

We'll I'm in the camp that the more prep and procedure you have the more consistent performance you'll get. I have a full custom that I shoot Norma brass through and it is 1/4 MOA consistently out to 1100 yards. My brass prep for that rifle is much less than most peoples. Sometimes you just get a barn burner.
    When I first started reloading, I didn't anneal or clean and had 5 or 6 shots on brass that still shot 1/2 MOA at 100. Of course I wasn't shooting long range back then but had to start somewhere.
    I always start with minimal prep and if my gun doesn't shoot well enough, I keep adding steps until it does.

11. JCow14

JCow14 Active Member

Coriolis will come into effect shooting north or south, but has a horizontal effect instead of vertical. Pair this with a right hand twist barrel/ spin drift in the northern hemisphere say North Alaska or Canada and you have a POI shift right- big time.

I always went by

Horizontal correction
    Northern Hemisphere POI right+ spin drift (right hand twist barrel)
    Southern Hemisphere POI left
    Poles max deflection
    Equator zero deflection

Vertical Correction
    Shooting East POI high
    Shooting West POI low
    Poles zero defection
    Equator max deflection

WiscGunner likes this.
  12. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

This is not a valid argument. If BR guys FL to ensure they don't loose a match why would a hunter not FL size also. BR is a way, way more controlled environment than hunting. On a hunting trip who knows what you are going to get in your chamber. I used to do that Neck sizing thing and I always seen problems. Bolt close resistance different from round one round to another was all over the place and the dreaded rounds that would not even chamber. There is nothing more accurate that a quality FL sizer set up correctly. I have tried about every practice in brass prep there is and I do a lot of steps to brass now. But the best money I ever made was stopping neck sizing and running FL with all the guts out followed by a Sinclair expander. To each their own of coarse and whatever works for you. But this is just my experience.

13. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

I do

14. Huntz

Huntz Active Member

Do what ever makes you feel good with brass prep.The only really important thing is having a straight neck.I do not waste my time with the minutia.I would spend more time learning how to get closer.Too many variables with shooting 1000 yards can cause an animal to be wounded rather then a DRT shot.I am not saying it cannot be done,but rather I get more satisfaction with a successful stalk that may or may not end up in a kill.Too much emphasis is being placed on the only successful hunt is one where you come home with an animal.Once you learn that ,you will always be a successful hunter.Kill or not.Huntz

nicholasjohn likes this.