Brass Prep for long range accuracy

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Steve Sheasly, Sep 11, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Stangs55

Stangs55 Member

I came here to post this same video ;)

And this comes from a lifelong neck sizer ;)

Hand Skills likes this.
  2. Bill Cauley Jr

Bill Cauley Jr Well-Known Member

Me too

3. Bill Cauley Jr

4. Bill Cauley Jr

Very good explanation I completely agree

5. Steve Sheasly

Steve Sheasly Well-Known Member

just figured out how to post pictures. Sorry for the thumbnails.
    great video.

lancetkenyon likes this.
  6. Bill Cauley Jr

I use steel wool to clean the outside with a drill and a nylon brush to clean the inside necks

lgordee, ShtrRdy, Barrelnut and 2 others like this.
  7. Steve Sheasly

ok he finally said it -- the reason bench rest shooters do not neck size is that on a hot day a round may not chamber or worse yet it won't eject and that might cost them a match. If I were in a competition I would also full-length size. These guys spend thousands of dollars a year and have custom made dies (I am sure) to get .002 uniform full size. I know that when I neck size my groups got smaller. I suppose if I wanted to spend the cash I could get custom dies but I am a hunter, not a bench rest shooter. I have never had a round stick or refuse to chamber because when I hunt it is always cold. Great video but more detail would have been helpful.. Thanks for posting that.

ShtrRdy and Gator 06 like this.
  8. Gator 06

Gator 06 Member

As far as brass goes norma brass took me several firings an several trimmings to get same impact as my rem brass. Gun sighted in dead on and norma brass all shot to right of x by 2 inches at 100 yrds. I honestly beleive the necks where not square until a few trimmings

9. Stgraves260

Stgraves260 Well-Known Member

Hello Steve. Hope I can help. If you are getting 5” groups at 1000 yards, it’s not a reloading issue. It would be inexperience field shooting. Please don’t take that wrong. I just didn’t know how to say it. This will be a little lengthy. 1st. Get your zero @ 100/200 yards whichever you prefer. (I use 100). 2nd validate your rifle facing true North. Meaning get all your drop data out to 1000 yards facing true North. That is very very IMPORTANT!!! Coriolis does not effect your drop date shooting North or South. Please pay close attention. If you are North of the equator remember that when you shoot East your bullet impact will be high. If you shoot West your impact will be low. You must train yourself how to dope wind. You are no longer shooting at a bench anymore where everything is almost perfect. When you are shooting over a canyon or water open field thangs change very quickly do to wind and humidity. Man this will take a long time to explain all this. I would to sit down with you for a few days, but keep in touch with me and I’ll help you along the way the best I can. Get your zero and drop data out to 1000 yards first then get back with me.

Bill Cauley Jr likes this.
  10. Steve Sheasly

I do all that. .5 moa at 1000 yards is good enough for me. Can you do better?

11. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I think he didn't see the 1000 and thought it was 100 lol

DUSTY NOGGIN and Barrelnut like this.
  12. Bill Cauley Jr

The reason an unfired round sticks in the chamber often times is because they are jamming bullets into the lands and if unloaded ends up dumping powder in the action and they are done for the day. This is why competition shooters preach full sizing

Bubba Q likes this.
  13. Steve Sheasly

That's funny. Where I live it,always blows. I measure the angle cub cosine .2 inches left for cor. Effect 6 inches for spin drift 1 to 5 moa for wind. I have the targets due North. I am inexperienced. Started hunting at 7 years old I am now 62 and have been reloading of years. But still learn everything I can. No one knows it all but all know a lot. So I listen more than I talk.

Gator 06, Jim74 and Bill Cauley Jr like this.
  14. Steve Sheasly

Thanks for that. I was not sure.

Bill Cauley Jr likes this.