brass or nylon bore brushes

cornchuck

There has been a question running through my mind for awhile and I thought I might get an answer here. Brass or nylon bristle bore cleaning brushes. I do know that some solvent require nylon brushes for the solvent will eat brass brushes. But the other solvents that are good for getting copper out can be used with brass brushes.

I have noticed that brass fits tighter in the bore. Is this good for the barrel? Will brass brushes scratch up the bore to much that it ruins the barrel? Should I use only nylon for cleaning?

Jasongun)

I have both kinds of brushes and prefer the brass brushes with brass cores because of the tighter fit. I'm pretty sure that the brass brush won't hurt your barrel because it is softer than steel.

Mudbug

I've wondered the same thing. I recently bought a bunch of the nylon brushes and so far so good. They seem to work well enough, and they're definitely less abrasive.

Something that I've also started to do is not draw the brush back from muzzle to chamber - instead I've been unscrewing the brush and re-attaching it after I've taken the rod out. It may be a waste of time, but it can't be beneficial for the brush to be pulled into the crown over and over again.

Brass will be attacked by many of the copper removing bore cleaners, causing blue stains on the follow-up patches that make it difficult to determine if copper is still being removed from the bore or if the blue stain is from your brass brushes.

I use nylon brushes with aluminum cores to avoid this problem.

I like to use Montana Extreme nylon brushes. They fit tight and work very well. I also use copper solvent VERY sparingly. Try, Wipe Out/ Patch Out bore solvent (available at Midway, Sinclair..ect). I met a bunch of BR shooters a couple of years ago who swore by the stuff. So I bought a bottle and now I do not use any other solvent. It will not harm the bore and it smells like laundry detergent!

merll284

I like the Iosso nylon brushes. They fit as tight as brass brushes, and acquire no stain from the solvent.

I usually start with several patches of Butch's, clean it out, then brush in Bore Tech Eliminator, clean it out and finish with Wipe Out per their instructions.

I use both.

I used to use only brass and didn't know much about copper fouling. When I started reading this site I switched to copper solvent and a nylon brush and was getting a lot of copper out so I figured I was also getting carbon.

Then I decided to use one of my brass brushes from a new rifle cleaning kit I had purchased and was surprised on how much carbon I had missed with my previous cleanings.

Now I use 4 swipes of a brass brush with rubbing alcohol, then a patch.
Next I use 4 swipes of a nylon brush to apply the solvent, then a patch.
Then I use the alcohol on the nylon brush to get the solvent off, (2 swipes,) then 4 swipes with the brass brush and alcohol, then a patch.
Then I use oil on the brass brush to get the rest of the carbon, (which really gets a lot more carbon than anything I've tried yet.)
I finish off with an oiled patch.

That is with my new rifle and it seems to be getting all the fouling and carbon. I have broken the barrel in that rifle, with my older rifles I will use more swipes since they foul a lot more... Except my Winchester 30-30, which doesn't really copper foul all that much; I use only oil on the brass brush, then every 10 outings I'll use copper solvent.

I leave my barrels and chambers oiled just in case I failed to remove all the solvent, I run a dry patch down my barrel and in the chamber to remove the oil before shooting.

I don't know if alcohol is the best thing to use, I just started using it in place of a carbon solvent when i ran out and it seems to work as well as anything I had used previously.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.