Brass on the bolt face

evilj

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, short time poster. Thanks for the interesting reads and tonne of info.

Recently just got my new savage 10FCP. After putting probably 300 round through it over the last few months, I looked at the bolt face and noticed a nice smearing of brass? Never any chips, just this 'smear'. Can anyone provide any info on what this could be. I've attached some pictures of the face so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

Cheers,
Evil.

Attachments

• 20120926_234556 (Medium).jpg
    20120926_234556 (Medium).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 20120926_234619 (Medium).jpg
    20120926_234619 (Medium).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for the quick reply!

Should this be cleaned? How should it be done if so? Or will it be of any concern to how the rifle shoots?

If these rounds are reloads, check your brass also. Look for flat/cratered primers and shiny areas on the base just to be sure the rounds are not too hot. Also, when you open the bolt, how much resistance is there? Otherwise, just use a Q-tip to clean and shoot on.
db

like said above, copper solvent and a q-tip, toothbrush(not yours of course<G>) and/or a towel will get it in short order. Usually happens in N.D. only when the wind blows from the west and if you have a rough bolt-face.

If these rounds are reloads, check your brass also. Look for flat/cratered primers and shiny areas on the base just to be sure the rounds are not too hot. Also, when you open the bolt, how much resistance is there? Otherwise, just use a Q-tip to clean and shoot on.
db

The rounds are reloads. Brass all looks fine. No signs of pressure, primers etc look fine, no cratering/flattening. Bolt opening feels the same as usual, but some rounds are ready for a full-length sizing and a trim before they are loaded again as they are a bit stiff when chambering.

Loading 45.5gr (46 is max according to the book) AR2208 with 168gr Sierra MatchKings - currently shooting superbly out to 500yds. I don't have anymore distance at my range to reach out any further.

Excellent thanks for the tips guys. All of my other rifles have been second hand and probably had a few thousand rounds through them before I got the so never saw this.

Does this have effect on how the gun shoots or is it just aesthetics?

Excellent thanks for the tips guys. All of my other rifles have been second hand and probably had a few thousand rounds through them before I got the so never saw this.

Does this have effect on how the gun shoots or is it just aesthetics?

Mainly aesthetics, but as usual you should get rid of all fouling present when you clean a gun. I wouldn't want a potential rust hazard if there were fouling below the brass that were allowed time with moisture in your gun. my $.02

Definitely. I've cleaned it up and will continue to do in the future as one should.

Just so I know i cant blame it for a **** day at the range.

Thanks for everyones help.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.