Brass on hand

For me, it depends on the chambering, but I lean towards enough to last the life of the barrel. Otherwise, you may find yourself on the search for brass at an inconvenient time. How mush shooting done with a hunting rifle is subjective as well. I tend to shoot my hunting rifles quite a bit.

I would think 100 of quality brass for a rifle only getting shot 50 times a year should last a long time.

Before building a 7 SAUM, I made sure I was able to secure at least 250 pieces of ADG.

Pistol and rifle I keep 1k per cartridge. Part of the problem is I might have 4-6 chambered in the same. If any of this brass from the last 7 years last as long as my super-x I'll never have buy buy any again.

Depends on the cartridge/chambering. I would be less concerned with 30-06 or 300 WM brass then say .405 Win, any wildcats off the .225 Winchester or others that are very hard to find. That being said, if you have 500 per rifle and the rifle goes first you still have brass if you love that cartridge and rebarrel. If you don't just sell the brass or trade it for what your in love with.
Also the last few years have showed us more is better then less. Who would have thought 30-06, 300 WM and for crying out loud 30-30 brass could be scarce?

Depends on the cartridge/chambering. I would be less concerned with 30-06 or 300 WM brass then say .405 Win, any wildcats off the .225 Winchester or others that are very hard to find. That being said, if you have 500 per rifle and the rifle goes first you still have brass if you love that cartridge and rebarrel. If you don't just sell the brass or trade it for what your in love with.
Also the last few years have showed us more is better then less. Who would have thought 30-06, 300 WM and for crying out loud 30-30 brass could be scarce?
So true!

I buy 100 pieces initially, do seating depth testing to gain once fired brass, then do powder testing, then primer testing in that order.
Full testing is then done with the best powder and primer.
I only minimal size the body if necessary, and the second firing is only done with neck sizing and a mandrel.
After the first 100 are fire formed 3 times, measured and sorted, I will often buy another 100 cases and fire form those and sort.
My 6.5x47 has 800 cases, did have a bulk lot of 1000, but a buddy needed 200, so I sold them to him.
Initially, on a new gun, if available, I will buy 200 pieces straight up, but sometimes, like my 300RUM, there was no brass available, so I bought 100 factory loaded cases and ran the barrel in with those.

Cheers.

Thinking about getting a SAUM and WSM and brass/ammo shortage would drive me to influence cartridge choice by quality brass availability. If 223, 3006, 270, 7RM, 300WM etc. - not a big concern. However, the shortage of WSM and SAUM brass (and some of the PRC) would drive me to start with at least 100 (and maybe 200) pieces of brass before I get a barrel.

Example is 26 Nosler - I bought a 26 Nosler a few years ago and fortunately bought a few boxes of "blem" 26 Nosler ammo from Nosler to harvest brass. Nosler has abandoned 26 Nosler thought I recently saw some Hornady 26 Nosler brass.

minimum of 300, I aim for 500-1000 rounds of empty brass rifle caliber.
I have calibers I did not do this and brass is scarce now.
When it is new and hot strike the iron and buy.
Lesson learned.
Some you buy the factory ammo for the brass others empty brass is more readily available.

Whatever number of cases you decide on you need to consider having AT LEAST 10x that number of primers! I like having 300 cases on hand per chamber especially if it's a wildcat that requires fire forming. With most cartridges 300 pieces of brass and 3 bricks of primers will be enough to shoot out a barrel.
That's so true, the primer game has been tough, over $140 by the time it gets to you, kind of sucks to develop a load with a primer and having to switch to something else because they're gone