brass necks

skeeter

I have using a bag of 50 7mm stw winchester brass and the necks are a little longer on one side.When run them throught my .257 stw die, the necks get a little longer.Can't trim do to cases being to short.Iam just wondering if i should just start using remington brass. SHEETER

[ 09-04-2004: Message edited by: skeeter ]

The fact that the brass is a little short should not deter you from uniforming the length.

Every parent cartridge that is fireformed to an Ackley configuration becomes quite a bit shorter. .015"-.020" of "shrinkage" seems to be the norm in my experience. I always unimform Ackley cases after forming.

I use Lapua 308 brass in my 7mm-08 rifle. The 308 brass has a shorter neck than 243 brass would have. I still uniform the case length and have not experienced any problems.

In neither of these two cases does the brass EVER reach the normal maximum length for the cartridge that I'm shooting.

QUESTION: Do any of you 7mm-08 shooters use 308 or 243 brass for your reloads? The 243 has a different shoulder angle; is this a problem? Just wondering what you guys do.

VH

[ 09-04-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.