Brass management

JD Jones

Newb question #1:
I have a new rifle that I have broken the barrel in. I have 40 PCs of ADG brass 1x fired and 200 0x fired. I am about to start developing a load for my rifle. Should I use the 1x fired or should I start fresh and get all brass up to same fire amount (1x)? What suggestions do the nice folks here have for a guy

Remember your barrel will probably speed up somewhere around 100 fired, I do no serious load development until this happens. Myself I would work with the remaining 60 to find a bullet and powder combination that looks promising and then fine tune the load once the barrel speeds up and keep the last 100 for latter times

i would do the new brass until you can fill a box of 50 , or 2 if they are fully sizing on the first shots

there's alot you can record while shooting your new brass , find what it likes for seating , pressure max , find your neck clearance, find your rifles favorite bullet/s ... so its not shooting n wasting components

measure your once fired shoulders and see if the majority of them are the same length, id keep shooting the once fired until they do all measure the same

Once fired. They are fully formed to your chamber. In this case since you already have 40 1x, shoot the 10 0x after a thorough cleaning of the barrel. Then you'll have 50 1x.

Use the 1x loads after the last 10 that way you can keep track of the one box.
Are you saying just get 10 down the pipe and develop a load with those 50 1x. What about the other 190? Once I'm happy with a load I then have 190 behind the curve so to speak? And to get the same performance I assume the brass needed to be formed uniformly (all shot/fire formed)? I understand this might not be a well thought out question… lol. Hope it comes across as intended

Remember your barrel will probably speed up somewhere around 100 fired, I do no serious load development until this happens. Myself I would work with the remaining 60 to find a bullet and powder combination that looks promising and then fine tune the load once the barrel speeds up and keep the last 100 for latter times
Good point. I have just over 100 rounds but 40 are with ADG brass. Brings another question up… 200 virgin ADG brass are one lot. 40 are from another. Those are my 1x. Any concerns blending the lot?

Hunter not a competitor. Just looking to be accurate is all

Are you saying just get 10 down the pipe and develop a load with those 50 1x. What about the other 190? Once I'm happy with a load I then have 190 behind the curve so to speak? And to get the same performance I assume the brass needed to be formed uniformly (all shot/fire formed)? I understand this might not be a well thought out question… lol. Hope it comes across as intended

Assuming you're not hotrodding your loads you should 7-8 firings per case. Maybe more.

Far as the others use 5-10 when you go out with the additional 50.

I usually fire a full box(100) of lapua at least once...then cycle through all 100 pieces and single out any that show problems..as in case head separation..split necks..primer pocket enlarged....
All brass IS NOT created perfect to each piece....some die early....
Some I might see the very faint line of a head case separation and check inside with a pointed metal rod...if it's a sharp edge inside it goes in recycle bag..if it's slightly felt and rounded I save for a final load for a hunting round....that way if I lose it when ejected no biggie...

most boxes are in 50s , load em to match what you need , keeping the card in the box updated has been very useful for me, over time i have forgotten what some of my boxes are and where was at with em , ya gotta remember to fill out those cards or stickers or whatever .. or youll start from scratch with that box 5 years from now

i would do the new brass until you can fill a box of 50 , or 2 if they are fully sizing on the first shots

there's alot you can record while shooting your new brass , find what it likes for seating , pressure max , find your neck clearance, find your rifles favorite bullet/s ... so its not shooting n wasting components

measure your once fired shoulders and see if the majority of them are the same length, id keep shooting the once fired until they do all measure the same
Once they measure out the same, then what? Is that when you start shooting for groups? Or is that something worth doing on virgin brass. My logic says I'd want them fire formed before I get to that point.

What tests would you run leading up to that point with 50-100 PCs of virgin brass without using components unnecessarily

Once they measure out the same, then what? Is that when you start shooting for groups? Or is that something worth doing on virgin brass. My logic says I'd want them fire formed before I get to that point.

What tests would you run leading up to that point with 50-100 PCs of virgin brass without using components unnecessarily
Weigh them and check neck uniformity. I will say that many of the practices you're contemplating may only make a slight difference if you're shooting an off the shelf rifle. More importantly you need to make sure you're bedding is done properly, barrel free floated, screws loctited, etc.

What rifle are we talking about?