Brass is hard to chamber after full-length resize

Steve, I don't see trying to diagnose the problem without having the before and after measurements. Did the OP post them & I didn't see them. I tried to read each response. Thanks!
I don't know if they posted those numbers. I know that my chamber was off as well as 2 other shooters that are local. There are dozens of people that have had experiences with the chambers being too tight causing the bolt not to close. If this was just a one off, I would say it's a fluke. Too many stories for it to be a fluke. Maybe some reamers were used too many times. Maybe some reamers were manufactured wrong. Who knows. I know companies were rushing 6.5 PRCs out the door to meet demand. It does appear to be focused around Christensen Arms rifles but I don't think the OP stated which rifle they have.

A custom rifle builder is going to take the time to make sure everything is right before it leaves their shop. I bought this Ridgeline because it had everything (I thought) that I wanted and was at a great price point. After I get a new barrel installed, I will have more in it than if I went full custom. Not bashing all factory rifles. I've just learned that I'm too picky to settle for what is available.

Also, having custom rifles built and your dies custom made from the actual reamer specs all but eliminates the issues most people are seeing. I was stating that that is the best way to go. Not rely upon several different manufactures getting the specs the same.

I'm well aware of the "clicker" issue but was unaware that anyone was having trouble chambering reloaded ammo. I'm shooting a custom by Cloud Peak and use Redding FL dies. For the last year I only used Hornady brass, never had an issue. Just recently, I started using Lapua cases. So far, so good. I have yet to experience any issues with the PRC. Just lucky I guess.

I don't know if they posted those numbers. I know that my chamber was off as well as 2 other shooters that are local. There are dozens of people that have had experiences with the chambers being too tight causing the bolt not to close. If this was just a one off, I would say it's a fluke. Too many stories for it to be a fluke. Maybe some reamers were used too many times. Maybe some reamers were manufactured wrong. Who knows. I know companies were rushing 6.5 PRCs out the door to meet demand. It does appear to be focused around Christensen Arms rifles but I don't think the OP stated which rifle they have.

A custom rifle builder is going to take the time to make sure everything is right before it leaves their shop. I bought this Ridgeline because it had everything (I thought) that I wanted and was at a great price point. After I get a new barrel installed, I will have more in it than if I went full custom. Not bashing all factory rifles. I've just learned that I'm too picky to settle for what is available.

Also, having custom rifles built and your dies custom made from the actual reamer specs all but eliminates the issues most people are seeing. I was stating that that is the best way to go. Not rely upon several different manufactures getting the specs the same.
What you say makes a lot of sense as manufacturers were rushing as you said to get a hot product out the door. If you do find out if it's tied to a certain manufacturer or reamer company please let me know.

I saw one poster say he was considering not getting a 65 PRC because of that story. I know so many people that have and enjoy rifles based on that caliber that have never heard of the aforementioned article & associated problem.

Good luck with custom! I think you will be happy except for the waiting times! Due to very limited knowledge I will only offer 1 piece of advice; make sure you go with a smith with a deserved good reputation even if a few $'s more.

Appreciate the information!

Go buy the proper tools too measure your cases accurately. Period. You absolutely need them too load quality and safe ammo. Just randomly turning your die down more or cutting shell holders/dies for more headspace is asking for disaster.
There is nothing 'random' in what I have suggested. Sizing by 'feel' and letting the bolt handle tell when you have sized enough is as old as reloading metallic cartridge cases.
The OP has measured the web…it is in spec. Removing metal from a shell holder is ONLY done AFTER it has been determined that that is what is warranted to get the correct dimensions on your brass.
As far as I am aware, the clicker issue was with Lapua brass only.

To the OP, mark a case on the shoulder and web area with a black permanent marker and chamber it.
Let us know where the marker is scrubbed off.

Cheers.

Last edited:
There's the answer!!! It totally is the dies. Thanks, Steve! Really appreciate that.

Correction: Not the dies, that was the early suspicion, but custom dies did not fix the issue. Chambers are too tight, have to ream them out and that resolves the issue.
I had the same problem fix it by bumping the should back another .004

I like to use on ALL my rifles, a neck die only. HOWEVER, on my rem 700 6.5 creedmore, I had a hard time with my reloads being very difficult to chamber. So I resized my last rounds using the full size die, and now the rounds load as should. 3 Die set from Hornady.
Good Luck

Maybe ive missed it but has the O.P said whether he's used a comparator to see if he's bumped back .002 if he's not its all guess work.
I would start there then look next at Alex's remedy with the PRC.

I had a similar problem with some loads I took out to the range that were real hard to chamber. So with that batch of brass I went back and used my neck sizing die on them (they had already been full resized) and then I put a heavier crimp than usual and they reloaded fine. It was just that one batch for some reason and I figure I did something wrong without knowing it and messed up the shoulder. It was just that one batch and I was using Lee Dies. Do you have a template round you use to measure them against? If not compare your round to a factory round and see where the measurements are off if at all. Good Luck.

I have to measure my brass next firing I am trying some nosler brass and only have 2 firings on my hornady brass since the pockets opened fast, if I had other primers then the wlr I could go one more firing. Ejector mark is pretty heavy even on starting loads but show no pressure. Fired brass I need to fully size just to chamber one of the new noslers would not size all the way and bolt is hard to turn, marks on the web area.

I wonder what reamer was used on my rifle, it's a mauser m18 and made in Germany so don't know who's reamers they used. The bolt is very smooth for a 60° and the way they are I think I would hear the click but haven't yet.

I may have to make one of them cut off fl dies.