Brass cleaning issue

For those of you that use Walnut or Corn check with you local sandblaster supplier. They have it in 50 lb bags so you do not feel too bad about thrown out the old media or trying to use it for too long.

@MT257 and @Wayne Huff
Wayne is most probably right plus if you used Brasso in it, it contains ammonia which is bad news for ammo brass.
Go to a pet store and get lizard litter. It's way cheap. Run it with nothing but old dryer sheets (don't ever use new sheets, you'll get icky crap on the cases) to remove some of the dust. Add 3-5TBLS of Meguiar's auto polish and let it run until the polish is absorbed. Don't worry if there are some clumps in the media, they will break up after running your brass the first time.
Load up some brass and in a few hrs it will match the SS pin method.

8bb86ab9-ad55-4c13-abd3-fc9fb7fb901d_1.05ccde7be325067685a96fa26f30e264.jpeg

@MT257 and @Wayne Huff
Wayne is most probably right plus if you used Brasso in it, it contains ammonia which is bad news for ammo brass.
Go to a pet store and get lizard litter. It's way cheap. Run it with nothing but old dryer sheets (don't ever use new sheets, you'll get icky crap on the cases) to remove some of the dust. Add 3-5TBLS of Meguiar's auto polish and let it run until the polish is absorbed. Don't worry if there are some clumps in the media, they will break up after running your brass the first time.
Load up some brass and in a few hrs it will match the SS pin method.

8bb86ab9-ad55-4c13-abd3-fc9fb7fb901d_1.05ccde7be325067685a96fa26f30e264.jpeg
G'day olyeller

Sorry I totally disagree Brasso isn't harmful at all to (Ammo brass) brass is brass ive been using it for years like about 40 years and more thousands of rounds Than I care remember I've shot professionally for most of those 40 years , the marks on the op's brass isn't from Brasso maybe some other cleaning agent ,or possibly blood ??? but looking at the cases my guess is they have been laying around for quite some time , or had been in contact with black powder only time I've seen that sort of marks is on my .45/70 black powder cases if I don't clean them the same day I shoot them,
Cheers Paul

I may have over applied case lube and also a combo of dirty/worn brass. I changed to new media and the issue was resolved.

I may have over applied case lube and also a combo of dirty/worn brass. I changed to new media and the issue was resolved.
G'day MT257
I don't think that is possible I use a hell of a lot of case lube and never had any staining on any of my brass ,
I use RCBS case lube and on the odd occasion it's been left on the cases for weeks before cleaning in case tumbler or my vibration one I forgot the name of it it's orange in colour lol strewth I'm getting old lol :)
What case lube do you use
Cheers
Paul

G'day MT257
I don't think that is possible I use a hell of a lot of case lube and never had any staining on any of my brass ,
I use RCBS case lube and on the odd occasion it's been left on the cases for weeks before cleaning in case tumbler or my vibration one I forgot the name of it it's orange in colour lol strewth I'm getting old lol :)
What case lube do you use
Cheers
Paul

Hornady oneshot

I once had a cat **** in my tumbler loaded with walnut hulls. Didn't notice and the brass that was in it turned blue. But some actually went beyond blue and turned black.

Ammonia isn't great to use on your brass, but if everything is absolutely dry you will probably be okay, especially if a diluted mixture (touch of Brasso in with tumbling media.)

But we know that ammonia attacks copper, which makes it great for cleaning copper fouled barrels (Sweets 7.62 comes to mind.) Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. So when you put ammonia (Brasso) in with your brass, the ammonia isn't doing it any favors (but it looks so pretty!)

"The common metals are not affected by anhydrous ammonia. But, even if there is a little moisture, ammonia will react rapidly with copper, brass, zinc and many alloys, especially those containing copper and corrode them."

Then there is this bit of info:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...t-store-brass-and-ammo-near-ammonia-solvents/
Excerpt:
"...long-term exposure to ammonia fumes can cause cracks to form in your brass. This can lead to case ruptures and possible injury.

This case-cracking phenomenon has been called Season Cracking, a form of stress-corrosion cracking of brass cartridge cases. Season cracking is characterized by deep brittle cracks which penetrate into affected components. If the cracks reach a critical size, the component can suddenly fracture, sometimes with disastrous results. If the concentration of ammonia is very high, then corrosion is much more severe, and damage over all exposed surfaces occurs. The brass cracking is caused by a reaction between ammonia and copper that forms the cuprammonium ion, Cu(NH3)4, a chemical complex which is water-soluble. The problem of cracking can also occur in copper and copper alloys such as bronze."

Hey, the Brasso probably is diluted enough and at a low enough concentration, people PROBABLY won't have issues with it...but it does contain AMMONIA and that really isn't awesome for your BRASS cases in the long run.

Ammonia isn't great to use on your brass, but if everything is absolutely dry you will probably be okay, especially if a diluted mixture (touch of Brasso in with tumbling media.)

But we know that ammonia attacks copper, which makes it great for cleaning copper fouled barrels (Sweets 7.62 comes to mind.) Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. So when you put ammonia (Brasso) in with your brass, the ammonia isn't doing it any favors (but it looks so pretty!)

"The common metals are not affected by anhydrous ammonia. But, even if there is a little moisture, ammonia will react rapidly with copper, brass, zinc and many alloys, especially those containing copper and corrode them."

Then there is this bit of info:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...t-store-brass-and-ammo-near-ammonia-solvents/
Excerpt:
"...long-term exposure to ammonia fumes can cause cracks to form in your brass. This can lead to case ruptures and possible injury.

This case-cracking phenomenon has been called Season Cracking, a form of stress-corrosion cracking of brass cartridge cases. Season cracking is characterized by deep brittle cracks which penetrate into affected components. If the cracks reach a critical size, the component can suddenly fracture, sometimes with disastrous results. If the concentration of ammonia is very high, then corrosion is much more severe, and damage over all exposed surfaces occurs. The brass cracking is caused by a reaction between ammonia and copper that forms the cuprammonium ion, Cu(NH3)4, a chemical complex which is water-soluble. The problem of cracking can also occur in copper and copper alloys such as bronze."

Hey, the Brasso probably is diluted enough and at a low enough concentration, people PROBABLY won't have issues with it...but it does contain AMMONIA and that really isn't awesome for your BRASS cases in the long run.
G'day Frog
I get that but all I'm saying is in 40 odd years of using the stuff I've never had a issue, let alone any cases go black tarnish?? To me it's either blood on the cases and I'm sure we have all had that , or the cases have been lying around in lord only knows what for a while???
Cheers mate or should I say rivvvvvit lol
Paul

I use fine walnut media and add liquid spray wax to the media as it tumbles. Have not needed to change media till approx 10 uses or more depending how long it takes to polish. If u store cases in closed container the inert gases from fired case/primer will permeate the brass, i always do a quick tumble after cases are fired before i size and tumble using Dillon lube for sizing. Do try that wax trick, especially gas guns love those slick cases without gumming up chamber. 10 years and counting.

I got tired of the dust and mess, even using dryer sheets, so I too went to stainless steel media with a tumbler. Seems like most people use dawn soap and lemon shine, but when I got my tumbler and ss media, I bought a 10 lb. tub of Guntap brass shine. Just a couple little scoops, and they provide the scoop, add warm water, and that's it. It works great and I've never looked back.

https://shop.guntap.com/brass-shine-powdered-detergent-free-shipping/

I got tired of the dust and mess, even using dryer sheets, so I too went to stainless steel media with a tumbler. Seems like most people use dawn soap and lemon shine, but when I got my tumbler and ss media, I bought a 10 lb. tub of Guntap brass shine. Just a couple little scoops, and they provide the scoop, add warm water, and that's it. It works great and I've never looked back.

https://shop.guntap.com/brass-shine-powdered-detergent-free-shipping/

bill, the Guntap looks worth a try. Thanks for the link.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.