Brass catcher popularity?

Tesoro

You know i always wonder why more AR shooters dont use good brass catchers? I am not talking about the laundry bag on a wire frame kind but something like the E&L I use. Its simple, indestructible, easy to pop on and off and dosent create jams. And it kinda looks like it belongs on an AR. Sure it costs about 75 bucks with the picatinny rail mount pins but so does a long afternoon of lead slinging at the range.

It cost 175 bucks in my case as I also have another picatinny rail mounted on top of my receiver with the brass catcher pins sandwiched between the 2 rails. This way I can use a full length qd mount for my eotech and a couple of diff scopes. If I just used one scope then I wouldnt need the extra rail as there is space to mount individual rings that dont interfere with the E&L pins.

At my range I constantly see shooters spew 100's of casings all over the place and then walk away or sweep em up with other crud and dump in the brass bucket. If those guys just collected their nice clean brass and sold em once a month on the bulletin board they could at least supplement their ammo costs. Every time they empty a 30 round mag they scatter a couple of bucks of brass into the dirt. And it also eliminates range rule hassle of picking up brass and also not lobbing hot casings at fellow shooters...etc etc.

As we know brass is the single most expensive component when reloading and especially so if you only use it once so why not collect them the easy way?

I buy LC once fired for 5 cents a casing. And then I spend hours doing all the necessary case prep work to uniform them. So even if its not about the economics then its about the prep work. So the last thing I am going to do is sling my nice brass into the mud when I can use it 2-3 more times and only have to neck size it from now on.

Thanks, Tesoro.

It is a mystery why they are not used very often. I personally don't shoot an AR. But, I get VERY TIRED of having a HOT .223 case hit me on the cheek or back of the neck when trying to shoot the 3rd or 5th shot on a tight group. LOL.

AR shooters would get more respect at the range if they used them. But they don't usually seem to be a group that respects much of anything anyway.....

Those E&L look like a nicer catcher then my net and wire Caldwell how easily do they come off in the event of a jam or other issue. A buddy of mine built some rebar frames and attached 1/4" hardware cloth to them. You set them on the bench where your brass ejects and catches it. They are left at the range do to there large and combersom size but they do work very well. Ive got to build a couple more of those or invest in something like these E&L's

Thanks, Tesoro.

It is a mystery why they are not used very often. I personally don't shoot an AR. But, I get VERY TIRED of having a HOT .223 case hit me on the cheek or back of the neck when trying to shoot the 3rd or 5th shot on a tight group. LOL.

AR shooters would get more respect at the range if they used them. But they don't usually seem to be a group that respects much of anything anyway.....

Lol, I'm an ar shooter and I get the same way. Last weekend I had a guy to my left shooting a m1 garand and he was peppering with '06 brass. Well I went straight to the rangemaster and had him grab a big brass deflector they had made that goes on the shooting bench. I took it over to my neighbors bench and put it up. Nothing more frustrating then being right at the spot where your trigger is breaking and a shell hits you in the head. Not too good for shooting groups.

Those E&L look like a nicer catcher then my net and wire Caldwell how easily do they come off in the event of a jam or other issue. A buddy of mine built some rebar frames and attached 1/4" hardware cloth to them. You set them on the bench where your brass ejects and catches it. They are left at the range do to there large and combersom size but they do work very well. Ive got to build a couple more of those or invest in something like these E&L's

The e&l has 2 square stock steel rails that poke out. The rails have 8 or so halfmoon detent craters drilled in em. On the box are 2 female slots the rails slide into. The slots have one each ss spring loaded ball bearing that pop into the detents. This way can adjust the box outwards with firm hold. Its very easy to pop the box off or on the rails.

You can also drill and remount the female part forward or rear to fit any ejection config pattern.

Its a simple setup that works. US military uses em on many of their ranges.

Lol, I'm an ar shooter and I get the same way. Last weekend I had a guy to my left shooting a m1 garand and he was peppering with '06 brass. Well I went straight to the rangemaster and had him grab a big brass deflector they had made that goes on the shooting bench. I took it over to my neighbors bench and put it up. Nothing more frustrating then being right at the spot where your trigger is breaking and a shell hits you in the head. Not too good for shooting groups.

If I were a range master I would paint a big yellow line down the middle of the shooting bench gallery. And then hang a sign above saying 'semi auto shooters on the right side only'
Solve that problem of bitchin bolt action shooters!

I always use a brass catcher when shooting brass cased ammo... I'm glad others don't... When they leave, more free brass for me to pickup. :D But while i'm trying to shoot for load development, it is quite annoying to get pegged with hot brass getting slung from 3 seats away.

Thanks, Tesoro.

Barrelnut, ++1. The major reason we quit going to our local range. Even when I politely ask not to have a semi-auto to my left, I almost always got one. We now go to a 500+ yard spot on the desert, much closer, and we can shoot in peace. A range to the north has portable screens to place between semi-autos and the bench next to them, but the range-nazis are too difficult to deal with there. Then there is the group of 4-6 gang-bangers together at 1 bench with a beat up SKS going through 40 round mags like water. Another amazement is the idiot with an AR with $3000 worth of upgrades shooting the cheapest steel cased crap he can find and always getting a jam, then they shut the line down to clear it while everyone else waits.

You know i always wonder why more AR shooters dont use good brass catchers? I am not talking about the laundry bag on a wire frame kind but something like the E&L I use. Its simple, indestructible, easy to pop on and off and dosent create jams. And it kinda looks like it belongs on an AR. Sure it costs about 75 bucks with the picatinny rail mount pins but so does a long afternoon of lead slinging at the range.

It cost 175 bucks in my case as I also have another picatinny rail mounted on top of my receiver with the brass catcher pins sandwiched between the 2 rails. This way I can use a full length qd mount for my eotech and a couple of diff scopes. If I just used one scope then I wouldnt need the extra rail as there is space to mount individual rings that dont interfere with the E&L pins.

At my range I constantly see shooters spew 100's of casings all over the place and then walk away or sweep em up with other crud and dump in the brass bucket. If those guys just collected their nice clean brass and sold em once a month on the bulletin board they could at least supplement their ammo costs. Every time they empty a 30 round mag they scatter a couple of bucks of brass into the dirt. And it also eliminates range rule hassle of picking up brass and also not lobbing hot casings at fellow shooters...etc etc.

As we know brass is the single most expensive component when reloading and especially so if you only use it once so why not collect them the easy way?

I buy LC once fired for 5 cents a casing. And then I spend hours doing all the necessary case prep work to uniform them. So even if its not about the economics then its about the prep work. So the last thing I am going to do is sling my nice brass into the mud when I can use it 2-3 more times and only have to neck size it from now on.

You know I am like Henry. Always looking for.a better idea. I have tried many different AR brass catchers. Always wind up back with the simple Caldwell.

Send me a pic of this one mounted on a rifle with your typical AR style 1 piece cantilevered scope mount.and scope.

You know I am like Henry. Always looking for.a better idea. I have tried many different AR brass catchers. Always wind up back with the simple Caldwell.

Send me a pic of this one mounted on a rifle with your typical AR style 1 piece cantilevered scope mount.and scope.

Here u go

Attachments

• IMG_7973.jpg
    IMG_7973.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7975.jpg
    IMG_7975.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 166

I myself don't have this problem do to being lucky enough to have an area on private property to shoot. But I do shoot both bolt and semi rifles and I'd never want to go to a range and upset anyone. It's a shame people don't have enough curtesy and respect for others. I'm also surprised that the range doesn't implement some kind of rules to help prevent this.

wife got me one for Christmas and I luv it. I think ranges should have an ar catcher rule to keep the brass and steel off the ground since my experience is that .22lr and ar guys are the worst about not picking up their brass. Range clutter would be reduced 90%. I want to order a spare mount only so I have one on each ar and just swap the bag from rifle to rifle. I shoot more now and no cleanup necessary.

So what do you think? Better than the Caldwell?
I've never used one but have had an interest in buying one for some time now.

To the OP. How is this unit better than a cheaper Caldwell, in your opinion? (I presume the Caldwell costs less)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.