brass annealing machine

I recently started annealing and after researching many different options bought the MRB from Mike's Reloading Bench. Small business, fast shipping and very well made machine that was easy to set up. Very happy with it.

I am in the market for a annealing machine but they aren't cheap I made a post for a used one in the classified section. A couple quick question.

what ones are good ones that you would recommend?
what ones should I stay away from?
what are the issues with the good and bad ones? And does anyone have one they want to part with?
EP Intigrations LLC makes a very good annealer

I have used a bench source for several years and been just fine with it. I run off of 20lb bottles like others have said. I have same brand brass laying around to set up flame angle, length and heat. From a material engineering standpoint their are a lot of variables involved with heat treating, some are nearly a moot point for our goal and some are worthy of attention. I have not been around an AMP annealer but I like the design, I will say it's difficult to have an exact time for all cartridge sizes. The thickness of the neck as well as the varying material compositions can have a role in the stress relieving. For most running proper chamber clearances for our brass and only sizing to a necessary diameter is likely the most important variable. I anneal really because it's a reason to sit on the porch and drink scotch lol!

Lee melting pot with sand on high setting. Only anneal long range shooting rounds 338RUM, 300 RUM, 300 PRC,45-70 AND 45-110. I don't anneal my hunting rounds. It's very inexpensive and very quick. Just need to get the sand hot and figure out your time in the sand to get a good annealing. Can do 5 rounds at a time. If I did all my brass I'd probably go high tech.

I am in the market for a annealing machine but they aren't cheap I made a post for a used one in the classified section. A couple quick question.

what are the issues with the good and bad ones? And does anyone have one they want to part with?
I have an Annealeaz ordered, if you decide on that one it may be backordered a bit due to supply of parts due to covid. Ordered last month and hope to get this month. Not spending more than that...

I looked at Annealing Made Perfect, and Bench-Source. I when with the Bench-Source. Here why. The annealing Made Prefect the case had to be remove and a new had to be place in. Bench-Source you only had to place the case in, and It dropped it out into a pan that you place at the location where it drops out. I have several propane tanks and hookup of propane stove and lights. So I have a tank, Y-branch, and hoses that will hook up to the torches. That way you are not driving down to the store to get additional propane torch tanks. The Annealing Made Perfect and Bench- Source both have timers on them. There is another system out there that real good too. It requires some work to built it, but they are saying about $200.00 will do the trick. it works the same way as Annealing Made Perfect only more hand on operation needed. I saw it here the other day, but haven't been able to relocate it here on the blog. Cartridgeanneal.com I just watch it and that is petty simple and easy to use. I picked up some info too from them. So I am a little smarter today than yesterday. A GOOD THING!

I'm in over my head on this thread, but I watched a guy on YT (has a very active channel; don't know about his technical cred). He used a drill with a spark plug socket and spun them in the flame of a gas torch to color, then dropped them in water. It seemed pretty fast. Not sure how many you do at a sitting. Curious to hear comments from more experienced members here.

I use the AMP Mark II

I built a D-I-Y salt bath annealer. It worked well for about 6 months, then I noticed the bath wasn't getting up to temperature. I think the issue is with the Lee Lead pot, not the controller. I had less than $100 in it, but suspect I'll end up junking it and going with something else.

I've seen flame annealers in operation, and didn't think they were safe. Of course having a pot of 500 degree salt on your bench (or wherever) is not the definition of safe either.

I picked up an AGS machine and love it. Small company but it's a TON of bang for your buck. Look into them a bit. Quality machine! They come out of Serbia but are made very nicely and user serviceable if needed. Mind blowing machine for what you pay. The guy is super quick to reply and answer any questions you might have. Just my $0.02 👍 I have videos on Instagram @ImperfectLiberty

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_131704979.jpg
    IMG_20210302_131704979.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 127
I have Annealeaz bought before Mike began making them. It does a good job but if I was buying one now I would buy Mike's from mikesreloading.com. His does not cost very much More. I know Mike, who is a retired engineer, and he does a very good job of building his annealers and he chooses quality parts.

Have you considered the Salt bath type annealing systems? What do the others think of them?

For $40 bucks buy Brian Litz's book Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting Volume II. Read the chapter on neck tension (heck read the whole book). He does a comprehensive test on annealing vs. not. Or I can save you that $40 and tell you there is nearly zero difference, and probably less in a hunting gun. The first thing that will happen to your brass is the primer pockets get loose, and annealing can't help that. I have/have had several annealing machines, and now I just shoot, without using them. You will be money and accuracy WAY ahead by using your money buying brass. But if you have excess time and money then get another step in your reloading. Just test the difference yourself and do an honest assessment of the results.
Yes and no. Your neck tension doesn't spring back like it does when it annealed. I have seen poi change over time with out annealing. Only shows up at longer range and you will also see a slight increase in velocity. Levels out for a few loads then bumps for a few loads and levels out again at a higher speed. Litz knows his stuff and for most it won't matter but if you want consistency you have to replace what you start with.

I too want an amp annealer but can't justify it right now. Benchsource or any other flame machine works if you can recreate the same time limits and temperature. Rockwelling it is the only way to know your back where you need to be for consistency.