Brass and bullet getting scrapes from loading in chamber

6.5x300 WBY

Sendero in 7mm mag loading a dummy round of new norma brass and 168 vld hunting bullet. COAL is 3.450

To me it seems that the feed ramp is scraping the brass pretty good and also the rail on where the bolt rides right next to the feed ramp there are 2 (one on each side) points that jut out a bit and both are pointy and sharp. Wondering and thinking they are making contact somewhere during loading.

thinking on breaking out the dremell to smooth out those points a bit but that feed ramp just seems sharp as the brass goes over it.

so what you think.

Break out the dremell or I am going to be sending out my barrel to get a brake installed and will have the smith check it out and smooth things out for me.

Thanks

Brian

before you go modifying you mag, Single load to check, it the scratches are still there then your problem is in the chamber.
If the problem is in the mag use a hone, a chain saw rake file or 80 grit sand paper on the bottom of the mag feed. A dremmel might take more off than you want

before you go modifying you mag, Single load to check, it the scratches are still there then your problem is in the chamber.
If the problem is in the mag use a hone, a chain saw rake file or 80 grit sand paper on the bottom of the mag feed. A dremmel might take more off than you want

Its actually the TOP of the feed ramp that is scratching the bullet and brass. But I am going to feed a new brass to see just to make sure

Don't get carried away with a Dremel Tool. a hard piece of round metal like the shank of a drill bit and a little fine grit Emry cloth should clean the edges of the feed ramps. If using a Dremel tool just use a bright boy rod for a final polish.

Well I just single fed a new piece of brass and I got a nice scratch on the shoulder. Brass not pushed into the mag box just layed in there and gently pushed the new brass into the chamber.

crap.

When I get my brake Installed I will have him clean things out for me.

thanks guys. Probably too many burrs in there and I dont want to mess with it.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.