Brass a bit stiff when chambering....at my wits end. Help!

All,

I am trying to reload for a Browning Xbolt long range in 28Nosler. Factory rounds chamber fine but some pieces of one fired resized nosler brass are giving me sticky bolt feedback (id say 1 out of 5 pieces). I commented here a few times and most came back saying either the chamber is tight, the die is too long or the shell holder is too long. Well I have since ground down the shell holder to below spec height, purchased a bump die from redding and I am still having the same pieces give me a slightly stiff bolt when cycling. What exactly is going on here? I am opened to all suggestions at this point.
Set
All,

I am trying to reload for a Browning Xbolt long range in 28Nosler. Factory rounds chamber fine but some pieces of one fired resized nosler brass are giving me sticky bolt feedback (id say 1 out of 5 pieces). I commented here a few times and most came back saying either the chamber is tight, the die is too long or the shell holder is too long. Well I have since ground down the shell holder to below spec height, purchased a bump die from redding and I am still having the same pieces give me a slightly stiff bolt when cycling. What exactly is going on here? I am opened to all suggestions at this point.
Try this run you press ram all the way up . Then screw in you die untill it makes contact with your shell holder . Than back your die out a quarter turn a resize your case .Do this keep backing your die out until your bolt closes with little resistance . Lock die there and you should be good to go .The cases and die are now set for your chamber . Good luck

And have you bumped your cases .003, 005,.010.
Get a comparator so you know for sure that way you don't run into case head separation.
Other wise its just a guess.

Set

Try this run you press ram all the way up . Then screw in you die untill it makes contact with your shell holder . Than back your die out a quarter turn a resize your case .Do this keep backing your die out until your bolt closes with little resistance . Lock die there and you should be good to go .The cases and die are now set for your chamber . Good luck

This makes zero sense. Gradually backing the due out would cause more bolt resistance as you would be sizing the case less and less.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts