Brass a bit stiff when chambering....at my wits end. Help!

Bigeclipse

All,

I am trying to reload for a Browning Xbolt long range in 28Nosler. Factory rounds chamber fine but some pieces of one fired resized nosler brass are giving me sticky bolt feedback (id say 1 out of 5 pieces). I commented here a few times and most came back saying either the chamber is tight, the die is too long or the shell holder is too long. Well I have since ground down the shell holder to below spec height, purchased a bump die from redding and I am still having the same pieces give me a slightly stiff bolt when cycling. What exactly is going on here? I am opened to all suggestions at this point.

Do you have a comparator to measure should setback when using the sizing die? I'd start by comparing the length to the shoulder on the ones that feed well and the ones that don't.
ok. I can do that but what exactly will that tell me? just curious.

Do you have a comparator to measure should setback when using the sizing die? I'd start by comparing the length to the shoulder on the ones that feed well and the ones that don't.
Comparator lengths are as follows:

2 with bolt pressure when chambering: 2.2340 and 2.2325

8 with zero bolt pressure: 2.2310, 2.2305, 2.2310, 2.2320, 2.2305, 2.2290, 2.2295, 2.2310.

All were fired from a different person who sold me this gun so I cannot verify that all were originally shot in this gun. My worry is that the 8 which chamber fine simply chamber fine for now but may grow further and then not chamber if maybe there is something wrong with the gun itself. Thoughts?

Had a similar scenario with my 243 win . After talking to the good folks at rcbs they told me to screw my die in till it touched the shell holder at the highest point on the upstroke then move the ram down and screw the die in another 1/4 to 1/2 turn more . May be worth a try it fixed my issue. And yes I know it's overworking the brass but they will chamber and shoot just fine .

If those measurements are of brass that you have sized then the issue is the consistency of your sizing processes. You should be able to get all the cases within 0.0005" at the datum on the shoulder. It could be the die setting, slop in press linkages (not usually), inconsistent lubing (more likely culprit with your measurements. I use a Rockchucker II, a Redding BB, and a Hood press. I set them all to slightly cam over when touching the shellholder. I may go through several shellholders to find the right deck height to give me the setback I need or adjust the base of the die/top of a shellholder if I can't find one that does the trick without mods. I would eval your lubing process first though.

Last edited:
If those measurements of brass that you have sized then the issue is the consistency of your sizing processes. You should be able to get all the cases within 0.0005" at the datum on the shoulder. It could be the die setting, slop in press linkages (not usually), inconsistent lubing (more likely culprit with your measurements. I use a Rockchucker II, a Redding BB, and a Hood press. I set them all to slightly cam over when touching the shellholder. I may go through several shellholders to find the right deck height to give me the setback I need or adjust the base of the die/top of a shellholder if I can't find one that does the trick without mods. I would eval you lubing process first though.
This is the New MEC press with zero slop. I had to grind a bit of the shell holder in order to get it into spec (it was out of spec high and I thought that was the original issue). I use lube on ever piece of brass and it is wiped on by finger so I don't think it is that as I have never had an issue like this before. What if the 8 pieces that chamber right now simply have not grown much in the first firing and then after the second firing I am having the same issue as the other 2 which have a stiff bolt? Also, as an fyi, my shell holder is .015 below spec height now so in theory I should be able to bump the shoulders WAY back if I really wanted to which is not happening at the moment.

Now you know anything longer than 2.2320 will not chamber.

So I would bump that back .002 and call it a day.

You should also measure the web and document the ones that won't chamber versus the ones that do. The rest of the case should be able to be sized appropriately.

Steve

If those measurements of brass that you have sized then the issue is the consistency of your sizing processes. You should be able to get all the cases within 0.0005" at the datum on the shoulder. It could be the die setting, slop in press linkages (not usually), inconsistent lubing (more likely culprit with your measurements. I use a Rockchucker II, a Redding BB, and a Hood press. I set them all to slightly cam over when touching the shellholder. I may go through several shellholders to find the right deck height to give me the setback I need or adjust the base of the die/top of a shellholder if I can't find one that does the trick without mods. I would eval you lubing process first though.
Well I will be stand corrected. it was my lubing process. I went back and wiped all the parts off of the die. Relubed those pieces of brass. Sized them again, and bingo...they chamber. Wow. I feel dumb. Why would lube make such a big deal?

Have you tried machinists dye, & inked up a case to see where the sticking point is?

I can almost bet everyone one of us has this happened at some point in our reloading life. Chalk up as a learning experience. I will guarantee you will have more AhAh moments as you develop your reloading knowledge. We all do. This is a great place to pick up little tidbits of knowledge that will raise your game in loading. Reloading is a lifetime learning experience. Every time I think I am there I see a post and realize I need to do this going forward.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.