Brass “break in” …

I do not know what alloy ADG is. I do know that it is top tier brass.

What are some examples of long range big game cartridges that can get 40+ reloads on brass?

Thanks.
6.5x47 Lapua will easily go the distance with a tight chamber. Guessing any of the cartridges derived from the Needmoor will go the distance. Those based off the 308 case and even those off the 30-06.
Those that will, like the RUM, Lapua or Norma Mag will all depend on the chamber/die and what neck tolerance there is in that chamber.
For instance, the chamber on my factory Rem has too large of a neck diameter, brass expands .006" over neck OD of a loaded round. Unless careful sizing is done, this may not get long brass life. It also depends on the brass. The only brass I can get is Barnes……which is made by Remington anyway.
You folks in the US are blessed with the array of choices you have. I have 3 brass brands to choose from, Remington/Barnes, Norma or Lapua.
Occasionally there is RWS, Sako and S&B in quantities I can utilise, but mostly that stuff isn't in large enough quantities that make it worthwhile to purchase.
I ordered and paid for ADG brass 3 times, then was told by email my order was cancelled because they were filling homegrown orders first.
Very disappointing. Not knocking them, but the BS we have to do to get brass imported as an individual is just ridiculous. This arms dealing treaty that has been imposed is just STUPIDITY.

Cheers.

Magnum- Would you share your load data?
Norma 300WM brass. Sorted by VOLUME.
Flash hole de-burred and funnelled.
Federal 215 Match primer.
79g H1000 powder swirl charged into the case.
Sierra 230g SMK pointed and trimmed.

Disclaimer:
This load is hot in other guns.
I do not advocate the use of this load in ANYTHING other than MY rifle.
It DOES NOT work in ANY other brand of brass.

Cheers.

I do not know what alloy ADG is. I do know that it is top tier brass.
What are some examples of long range big game cartridges that can get 40+ reloads on brass?
I don't know what 'top tier' means, and for sure it means nothing to me about brass hardness.
If by big game cartridges you mean big cartridges, then that desire works counter to lasting brass. It's not a dead hard barrier, but makes everything more difficult.

The root cause of brass killing (within SAAMI max pressures) is sizing.
Excess up-sizing with firing, and excess downsizing to re-chamber.
The force of a given firing pressure is tied to the area applied (PSI). So to move brass the least with pressure, you need minimal clearances to enough steel support around the area of chamber. To mitigate opening pockets and difficult extraction you need adequate breech support.
And while I talk clearances and support, I'm not talking about good enough for functioning. I'm talking about right for case longevity through many reload cycles. To get enough support often means heavier gun build, and in an excessively large cartridge, it could quickly go beyond practical field carry. >12lbs would compromise my hunting, so a 15lb+ big boomer is not in a plan for me.

Luckily, the most powerful of ballistic attributes -is accuracy. Long term, dependable accuracy.
In the USA, I can kill anything at 500yds with a 140gr Berger to the brain or heart. Best overall capacity for 26cal is 260AI, and I could make brass for that last forever in a 12lb system. Just an example of a kind of planning that begins with quality over quantity.
It all begins with a bullet, I think you're looking at 30cal. What's the smallest case/capacity needed to reach your actual ballistic need for the bullet? Maybe not as big as you think.

Last edited: