Brand New to site - 5R Milspec

KJM

I am absolutely brand new to the site. I have hunted for 25 years with the same 30/30 Marlin 336, and switched over to Lever Evolution this past season. Was immediately rewarded with a 195 yd kill on a relatively nice 6 point (16" spread).

So 2 weekends ago we were hunting feral hogs that are tearing up our deer property and I had a chance to shoot a Remington 700 5R .308 at 500 yds. I'll spare you the long description but essentially I had never experienced being able to hit a 10" steel plate at that distance before. It is a week and a half later and I will be putting together my new 5R and duracoating it this week :). Glad I found the site, there is a tremendous amount of info here that coupled with the local group of about 8 other guys with 5R's who are willing to help coach will be indispensable. I will try to post some before and after photos as I go through the process of duracoat with a couple of friends who are helping.

Budget isn't great, so I'm having to opt for median priced gear - so far this is where I am:

Konus M30 6.5x25 mildot w/ Illum ret
EGW 20 MOA 1pc Base
Burris Extreme Tact Picatinny Rings
Harris 6-9 Bipod.

Just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of info on the site and for you all being so willing to share the information. Can't wait to take a pig/deer/coyote at a range over 200 yds. May even let these guys talk me into trying a competition for the experience once I learn enough about ranging and ballistics.

KJM

KJM, welcome to LRH. It sounds like you're well on your way to putting together a nice long range rig. I have a 5R Milspec that I picked up last year. That gun will amaze you, I think most guys hope their custom guns shoot as good as it does.

Welcome to the addiction!:D From what I here the 5R barrels are amazing creatures. The only thing I can suggest is really research your glass. I have read on this sight that guys were not to pleased with their Konus optics. Things coming apart and such. If you are on a budget and want a really good scope for the value, look at the Buckmaster Series by Nikon. I own two of them and the clarity and light gathering is brilliant for the money. The 6-18x40 w/Target dot will allow you to see groundhogs at 1000+ yards with ease. It is only a one inch tube, but with a 20MOA base couples with Burris Signature Z rings w/ 20MOA inserts will give you 50+MOA of adjustment. Just a suggestion. Again welcome to LRH and have fun reading conversations.

Tank

first of all welcome to the best long range site on the web. Not only do we have the best site but the best long range hunters in the world along with the best gunsmiths, gun builders, bullet makers, and on and on. You wont find a better site out there

first of all welcome to the best long range site on the web. Not only do we have the best site but the best long range hunters in the world along with the best gunsmiths, gun builders, bullet makers, and on and on. You wont find a better site out there

Jeesh.... wish I was getting paid for your advertisement!:D What he said!!!

Tank

I completely agree.

the .308 is one of the easiest most forgiving calibers to load for. hopefully yyou or your friend can load some ammo. that will save you some. if i were to get a less expensive scope i would get a bushnell 4200 or 3200. the 5-r is a GREAT rifle to start with. have fun

Thanks for the replies and well wishes guys. I appreciate the recommendations but I already had the Konus when I wrote that. I shot with it, really liked it, and of 4 or 5 guys that have them only one had a problem. The turret lock had a problem but Konus made it right with him immediately by shipping a new scope that day. Being in sales and manufacturing myself, that was good enough for me to give them a shot.

I will have to upload pictures of the 5R as well as the venerable 30/30 that has served me so well for so many years. I can't wait for the Duracoat to cure so I can take them to the range. Two of my buddies are very good, very safe, very meticulous reloaders and are willing to teach me (worth it's weight in gold).

Also, in a real life moment of "if you're gonna be dumb you better be tough", we inserted the lever handle back on without first putting the bolt and ejector clip back in the 30/30. Now, the lever is locked in the closed position. I realize this is LRH, not necessarily a bunch of brush gunners, but if anyone knows a simple trick to unlock the lever please share. Otherwise it's a trip to gunsmith.

KJM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.