Brand new Ruger American, or revitalize a ~40 year old M77?

Shoot the 7mmRM for a lighter hunting deer rifle, then pull the barrel and blueprint the .270, and put an aftermarket 26" barrel chambered in .280 AI.

Stocky's has Proof Research 416R SS .284 9" twist blanks on sale for $299.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/barrels/centerfire/proof-research-cut-rifle-barrels.html

This is the route I'd go, then have the smith chamber it for the SAAMI/Nosler spec .280 AI. and top it off with a EGW HD rail, some TPS TSR aluminum rings, and a Vortex Viper HS-T on top. That would be a nice rifle on a budget.

If you do that, you'd only have to buy 1 caliber of bullet. And Nosler sells new .280 AI brass.

I've been in contact with Marshall, and the 10 twist will run the 165s just fine (little lower BC but still quite a ways higher than say a 150gr and actually a little higher than the 170gr Berger) I'd use the chrono for checking velocity of current loads and for working up new ones. Hell, wouldn't be hard to get a takeoff in 30-06 if I wanted to either... Wouldn't be as good as an aftermarket barrel of course, but I've got plenty of 30-06 brass and there are some awesome options for 30cal projectiles! Unless someone has a 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem Mag they'd sell for ~$350-400:D

You already have a perfectly good lefty 700 7mmRM action...All you need to do is have it blueprinted, slap on an aftermarket blank chambered in 7mmRM, a Timney trigger, and drop it into a B&C Medalist stock, and you would be world's ahead of where you're at now, and you'd be around $1K total investment.

You already have a perfectly good lefty 700 7mmRM action...All you need to do is have it blueprinted, slap on an aftermarket blank chambered in 7mmRM, a Timney trigger, and drop it into a B&C Medalist stock, and you would be world's ahead of where you're at now, and you'd be around $1K total investment.

Perfectly good, nooo, that lefty 7mmRM is the nightmare I was referring to... which refund of said purchase price would make it possible to customize the .270 or get something else to run (kinda want a 7mm Saum...)

If I got the refund I'd have a little over $700 to use.

I've been in contact with Marshall, and the 10 twist will run the 165s just fine (little lower BC but still quite a ways higher than say a 150gr and actually a little higher than the 170gr Berger) I'd use the chrono for checking velocity of current loads and for working up new ones. Hell, wouldn't be hard to get a takeoff in 30-06 if I wanted to either... Wouldn't be as good as an aftermarket barrel of course, but I've got plenty of 30-06 brass and there are some awesome options for 30cal projectiles! Unless someone has a 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem Mag they'd sell for ~$350-400:D

Bartlein, brux, shilen, lija, broughton, kreiger..etc... all have a 7mm barrel they'd sell you for 350-400.

There is a reason it would be real easy to find a take off 30-06 barrel. Probably find one brand new one for $30, thats the condition I sold mine. If I didn't sell it it would be properly placed somewhere near the trash.

I'm quite aware of how chronos are used but thank you for clarification. I see a comparator on your list, if you don't have a $25 essential tool why would you need a $400 chrono? Accurate loads have been worked up for decades without a chrono, but then again there is always that one guy in the trailer park who has a brand new camaro.

All I'm saying is I think a little more thought could go a long ways.

Bartlein, brux, shilen, lija, broughton, kreiger..etc... all have a 7mm barrel they'd sell you for 350-400.

There is a reason it would be real easy to find a take off 30-06 barrel. Probably find one brand new one for $30, thats the condition I sold mine. If I didn't sell it it would be properly placed somewhere near the trash.

I'm quite aware of how chronos are used but thank you for clarification. I see a comparator on your list, if you don't have a $25 essential tool why would you need a $400 chrono? Accurate loads have been worked up for decades without a chrono, but then again there is always that one guy in the trailer park who has a brand new camaro.

All I'm saying is I think a little more thought could go a long ways.

I definitely see what you are saying ohiohunter, and you are correct!

To the OP. Mdt just released the lss chassis for the ruger american. I just bought one today. I came across it by accident when trying to see if there was an update yet for this action. I found their youtube video detailing the install as well as installation instructions published on their website posted feb 5th 2016. Apparently it was getting ready for release because i never got anynotifications until after i ordered.

To the OP. Mdt just released the lss chassis for the ruger american. I just bought one today. I came across it by accident when trying to see if there was an update yet for this action. I found their youtube video detailing the install as well as installation instructions published on their website posted feb 5th 2016. Apparently it was getting ready for release because i never got anynotifications until after i ordered.

Long Action? I've seen the Short Actions for a while...

Naw. Just the short action. How long have you seen it available? The owner of mdt didnt say anything till today after i found it and they notifications i was signed up for never came through. Ughhh that kinda makes me mad i couldve had one sooner. Now i can finally use aics mags!

This one was built in 1974. 300WM. Shoots sub inch when I do my part. It has a shorter mag box so it doesn't get the heavier pills.
Sits in a McMillan "Ruger Tang Safety" and has had the sear replaced with the rifle basix.

As you can see my 17 year old "lefty" daughter has claimed it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 74
This one was built in 1974. 300WM. Shoots sub inch when I do my part. It has a shorter mag box so it doesn't get the heavier pills.
Sits in a McMillan "Ruger Tang Safety" and has had the sear replaced with the rifle basix.

As you can see my 17 year old "lefty" daughter has claimed it.

That's awesome Shane, thanks for sharing that beautiful 300!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.