Brand new CA Ridgeline 300 PRC Chambering issue?

Only "one" question is the scaring?
What about beating the crap out of the bolt to expel the brass?
What about this concept of "just shoot it until it wears out" , so it might fit mentality?

What about try a smaller bullet? Are you kidding me?

But, I think you're safe! Just take a rubber mallet hunting with you. Argh, where are my pills ?

To the OP, your wife did her best. Mine has done the exact same thing.
Don't wastes time or money and send it back. This is not normal and shouldn't be.

If this was a pair of kenetrek boots that didn't fit right would you keep them?
Thank you. I have requested shipping instructions from CA. they have been very good about answering my email this far. will see how long it takes to get the shipping instructions from them

I am no expert either and I have the same feeling as you about this. A sails rep at CA told me told me I could contenue the break-in proceder. My first reaction was cool, I can go shoot it some more, but then after thinking about it a couple of days I was thinking, Why is it only making contact with the rifling on only one side also... Made me think hmm What if this chamber is cut off center?
Side marks, which I have seen in many others, is the bullet dragging on the action. But yours looks to be jamming going in! I might have missed something....reloads or factory ammo? full length resize and die set correctly?

Only "one" question is the scaring?
What about beating the crap out of the bolt to expel the brass?
What about this concept of "just shoot it until it wears out" , so it might fit mentality?

What about try a smaller bullet? Are you kidding me?

But, I think you're safe! Just take a rubber mallet hunting with you. Argh, where are my pills ?

To the OP, your wife did her best. Mine has done the exact same thing.
Don't wastes time or money and send it back. This is not normal and shouldn't be.

If this was a pair of kenetrek boots that didn't fit right would you keep them?
Do you own a CA rifle? I do. As I said earlier, they use min specs for chambers and throats so factory rounds are as accurate as they can be with min slop and min jump. That's what the tech manager told me. I had tight bolt close and open on my gun as well which after talking with CA they said that is normal on their gun and it will break-in its due to their min spec usage (each carthridge has min-max chamber/headspace specs). I had pressure signs on my case the 300wsm has two ejectors and both have heavy springs leaving mark on case even when no high pressure is there. The tight chamber and headspace leaves marring on case head until broke in, again they told me this is normal and NOT real pressure signs. The OP's case shown does not show pressure signs. And even if the rifling is slightly raised or long on one side it doesn't mean it is unsafe or will not shoot just fine. It doesn't mean the chamber is off center. Almost every gun has slightly uneven rifling beginning where they start in throat area, I've looked at hundreds and not one ever looked perfect and it will have NO effect on the accuracy, its the rifling at the end of barrel that matters. He has shot the gun multiple times with NO issues other than the hard to open bolt due to their tight chamber specs, that will break-in. This is my real experience with CA guns and talking with their technician manager. You don't have to like it nervous Nelly! I see why you need pills.

Last edited:
Do you own a CA rifle? I do. As I said earlier, they use min specs for chambers and throats so factory rounds are as accurate as they can be with min slop and min jump. That's what the tech manager told me. I had tight bolt close and open on my gun as well which after talking with CA they said that is normal on their gun and it will break-in its due to their min spec usage (each carthridge has min-max chamber/headspace specs). I had pressure signs on my case the 300wsm has two ejectors and both have heavy springs leaving mark on case even when no high pressure is there. The tight chamber and headspace leaves marring on case head until broke in, again they told me this is normal and NOT real pressure signs. The OP's case shown does not show pressure signs. And even if the rifling is slightly raised or long on one side it doesn't mean it is unsafe or will not shoot just fine. It doesn't mean the chamber is off center. Almost every gun has slightly uneven rifling beginning where they start in throat area, I've looked at hundreds and not one ever looked perfect and it will have NO effect on the accuracy, its the rifling at the end of barrel that matters. He has shot the gun multiple times with NO issues other than the hard to open bolt due to their tight chamber specs, that will break-in. This is my real experience with CA guns and talking with their technician manager. You don't have to like it nervous Nelly! I see why you need pills.
Thanks, Coop, I was also told that their chambers are made super tight. The 212 were getting easier to extract the brass, the last time I shot this gun. I appreciate your insight and your experience with CA rifles. They do seem to be a little different animal than most factory rifles.
Thanks, Jimmy

Ask anyone this one question? Is this situation normal? It's a yes or no.

And no I don't have one anymore. There are others with better quality for equal pricing.

Benchrest guys would eat this up.. Hey Tom pass me the rubber mallet!

Side marks, which I have seen in many others, is the bullet dragging on the action. But yours looks to be jamming going in! I might have missed something....reloads or factory ammo? full length resize and die set correctly?
Thanks, Glenn, it is factory Hornaday ammo the 225 grn was much harder to extract than the 212 grn. it is making contact with the rifling on one side. Which Coop said was just where the rifling started in the chamber and that it would get better with breakin/more shooting and cleaning ect.

I would bring it back to wherever I bought it and tell them you want a new one or get your money back. A bit ridiculous for a new fairly expensive gun.

Looking at your pictures of your fired cases it does appear that the firing pin detent seems to be off center. That along with rifling marks on only one side would lead me to believe things are not concentric throughout. The rifling marks almost touch the tip of the case neck which indicates a very short free bore in your chamber. I would be of the thought to send it back and have them put a proper concentric with the action barrel. Just my thoughts. Sheldon

Hello! I recently purchased the Ridgeline in 300 PRC. I started the break-in process last week. I started with the Hornady ELDM 225 gr. It was difficult to get the bullet into the chamber, but after shooting, I could not open the bolt without significant force - using the palm of my hand to force the bolt open. The case showed signs of significant pressure. I tried three more rounds, hoping the first one was a fluke but got the same result as the first. I brought the firearm home and cleaned it as suggested on the CA break-in page. After a few days, I decided to try the Hornady ELDX 212 gr. These were easier to eject, but still showed signs of pressure. Both the 225s and the 212s show clear rifling striations on one side of the projectiles when live rounds are ejected; live rounds are also difficult to extract from the chamber This leads me to believe that my rifle's throat may be too short or that the chamber may have been cut an angle.

I contacted Christenson they told me that their firearms are on the tighter side of SAMMI spec. That's why it is showing pressure on the case. I would like to get some opinions on this. To me the fact that the projectile is only engaging the rifling on one side when chambering a round makes me think that the chamber may have been cut off-center on this rifle

Thanks.View attachment 366379View attachment 366378View attachment 366377
Looks like there is no rifling. To have such deep land marks only on one side of the bullet makes me think this way. I think the chamber would have to be way out of axial alignment with the bore, and likely impossible in such a short distance to only show on one side of the bullet.
If you can get a small mirror in the breech and also shine a flashlight down the muzzle and focus on the leade area of the chamber neck within the mirror you might be able to see what is going on.

The lead on your chamber is wrong. It should be 0.2328 allowing you to hang bullets way out there on the end of the case.
Yes, I was thinking about this as well. it is a mag-length action to allow room for longer bullets, it also has a 1:8" rate of twist to stabilize the heavy for caliber bullets. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, for them to cut the chamber that short. However, several people who own the CA rifles have said they make their chambers very tight for maximum accuracy. They said that they loosen up after the 50-round break-in time.. I had a bad experience sending a Henry side gate 45-70 in for warranty work a couple of years ago and ended up that Henry just refunded me the money for the gun.

Thanks, Jimmy