Brand new CA Ridgeline 300 PRC Chambering issue?

.280AI Freak-Nasty

Hello! I recently purchased the Ridgeline in 300 PRC. I started the break-in process last week. I started with the Hornady ELDM 225 gr. It was difficult to get the bullet into the chamber, but after shooting, I could not open the bolt without significant force - using the palm of my hand to force the bolt open. The case showed signs of significant pressure. I tried three more rounds, hoping the first one was a fluke but got the same result as the first. I brought the firearm home and cleaned it as suggested on the CA break-in page. After a few days, I decided to try the Hornady ELDX 212 gr. These were easier to eject, but still showed signs of pressure. Both the 225s and the 212s show clear rifling striations on one side of the projectiles when live rounds are ejected; live rounds are also difficult to extract from the chamber This leads me to believe that my rifle's throat may be too short or that the chamber may have been cut an angle.

I contacted Christenson they told me that their firearms are on the tighter side of SAMMI spec. That's why it is showing pressure on the case. I would like to get some opinions on this. To me the fact that the projectile is only engaging the rifling on one side when chambering a round makes me think that the chamber may have been cut off-center on this rifle

Thanks.
IMG-0379.jpg
IMG-0390.jpg
IMG-0391.jpg

I am no expert in these matters, but it seems to me that when chambering a factory round in a factory chamber, there should never be engagement of the rifling. Just the fact that you are finding rifling marks on a live round indicates that something is wrong with the chamber.. Not to mention that it is only engaging on one side....

So I had similar issues with my CA ridgeline in 300wsm. Hard to close bolt, ejector marks and marring on case bottom. But I did not have any problems with the bullet being scuffed up. I too called CA and they told me to just shoot it, it would loosen up and be fine. And they were right have about 300rds thru it now and its a great shooting gun. I would call them back about the bullet markings and send them a picture and make them explain that. They do have short throat's, but I would make them explain those marks on one side.

I am no expert in these matters, but it seems to me that when chambering a factory round in a factory chamber, there should never be engagement of the rifling. Just the fact that you are finding rifling marks on a live round indicates that something is wrong with the chamber.. Not to mention that it is only engaging on one side....
I am no expert either and I have the same feeling as you about this. A sails rep at CA told me told me I could contenue the break-in proceder. My first reaction was cool, I can go shoot it some more, but then after thinking about it a couple of days I was thinking, Why is it only making contact with the rifling on only one side also... Made me think hmm What if this chamber is cut off center?

So I had similar issues with my CA ridgeline in 300wsm. Hard to close bolt, ejector marks and marring on case bottom. But I did not have any problems with the bullet being scuffed up. I too called CA and they told me to just shoot it, it would loosen up and be fine. And they were right have about 300rds thru it now and its a great shooting gun. I would call them back about the bullet markings and send them a picture and make them explain that. They do have short throat's, but I would make them explain those marks on one side.
Sweet, man does that makes me feel better... It seems to shoot pretty good groups with the 212 ELDX. I was just thinking maybe I should ask the question here, before moving forward. There are just so many experienced folks on here that have a wealth of knowledge!

my cousin and his son bought matching CA ridgelines in 300 wsm and had to send both of them back because some types of factory ammo would not chamber at all. CA put new barrels on both rifles.
the chambers were tight enough that some ammo might chamber 5-10 cartridges and not the rest from the same box..

my cousin and his son bought matching CA ridgelines in 300 wsm and had to send both of them back because some types of factory ammo would not chamber at all. CA put new barrels on both rifles.
the chambers were tight enough that some ammo might chamber 5-10 cartridges and not the rest from the same box..
Wow... I wonder why they make their chamber so dang tight! Thanks for letting me know. It is definitely very tight to try and chamber the 225 ELDM and after shooting the 225 ELDM. I had to use the heel of my palm to kinda pound the bolt open then I had to pound the bolt all of the ways back to eject the spent case. The 212 ELDX are not near as bad, they are still a bit tight to eject but nothing like the ELDM.

You could get a cheap Teslong borescope and see what is going on for yourself, it's good to have on for checking your cleaning regimen also. Other options include sending it off for the AW PRC chamber if you plan on reloading.

You could get a cheap Teslong borescope and see what is going on for yourself, it's good to have on for checking your cleaning regimen also. Other options include sending it off for the AW PRC chamber if you plan on reloading.
Thank you, I have been looking into getting a borescope. It seems odd to me that the bullet would engage the rifling on one side of the projectile rather than all the way around. Makes me wonder if the chamber was cut off-center. But I am not a gunsmith. I sure wish I knew a good one to ask him or her this question.

I've had great experience with my CA's.

Having said that, I would NOT shoot that once more like that!! Completely unsafe say nothing about being unacceptable...
Thank you... It did not make me feel too warm and fuzzy either, I have not shot any of the 225 grn since. The 212 grn were nothing like the 225 grn to eject but still a little stiff to eject. Maybe I just pull the scope and send it in for the CA gunsmiths to check it out? I told CA all of this, I posted these same pics in my message to them, and they told me I could go ahead with the break-in if I wanted to, "their firearms are on the tighter side of SAMMI spec" I replied, and said well if it is safe to shoot, I guess I could go ahead with the 212 ELDX. But I will not try the 225 again.