Brand new Bergera 300 win mag not shooting accurately

Time to change scope, that is what it sounds like to me. That would be the easiest to start with, get some factory ammo and see if it settles down. Then work on handloads.
It does seem crazy that I could have two vortex scopes that are screwy. Never had that problem with the cheapest of scopes. If it is the scope, how can I trust their replacement? I am going to try something tomorrow to see.

BTW, If it turns out that the problem has been my brand new vortex scope instead of a brand new Begara, I will make it right publicly. The problem has seemed unlikely to be the scope to me, since it is hitting close, and has reacted to load and seating depth changes. But I am not looking narrowly in that direction.

I have the Ridge Rifle SP 18" barrel in 6.5 creedmoor. From the factory Ammo of Hornady whitetail 129, precision hunter 143, federal with 135 Berger bullets and 95 grain varmint express Ammo it likes the 95 the best. The 129 and 143 were a little more than moa but shot identical groups. Little low and to the right. The federal group also shot similar but bent to the left slightly. Going to load up some rounds this winter and find a few more options it likes. Like these guys said keep playing around and check all the hardware. I had a scope that wouldn't get results on 3 different guns. So I got rid of it. Also some guns are picky with bullet weight also. My 30-06 doesn't care much for anything over 150gr.

Les!

do you have H4831 or IMR7828, I have the same rifle you have , it shoots 7828 at 74.6 with Nosler brass, 180 accubond, the velocity is at 3145 FPS. Don't panic and take your time because the bergara bull barrel really shoots accurate, take your time.
Tom

Here is the latest on the issue with my 300 WM Bergara. My gunsmith cleaned the barrel to the bare metal with a bore compound. We wanted to find out how fast it fouls with copper. I shot about 16 shots and it has some fouling. The accuracy was very inconsistent. I am using the best load that has produced best groups (77.5 H1000 under a 208 Gr ELD-M). Shooting prone from a bipod and solid rear-bag. 3 fouling shots were two that were near same hole with a third about 3" away. Then I shot a five shot group that was a little over 2." Then 2 more groups that were maybe 1-1/"2 to 1-3/4." At that point, I determined it is going back to the factory. This is hard, because I really need that rifle for an elk hunt. I thought it might be best if someone else shot it before sending it back so that nobody could say it is me. I suspect that the manufacturer will send it back and say it is OK because, sometimes, it has shot a 1" group. Sometimes slightly better. But not consistently (shooting the exact same load from same solid rest). So we took it out and shot it. We are now using a bench rest with sandbags without the bipod. He shot 5 shots in a little over 1." Still not good. But not as bad as my previous groups that day. So then I shot 3 shots from the same bench. They shot a 3/4" group with two nearly in the same hole. I have shot this thing with and without a bipod. It usually shoots better with a bipod. But that is the only difference in shooting today - other than a little copper fouling. The shots I did earlier were with neck-turned brass. The shots later were with stock brass.

So, if I were reading this, I would first guess if the inconsistency is the nut behind the stock. Not saying it is impossible, but I think it is more than that. I don't believe it could be the scope. My load is something I have been very meticulous with including seating depth and neck tension of .002. I don't think it is the barrel either, other than maybe it prefers a certain amount of minor copper fouling, but then accuracy falls apart when it gets a bit too much. The action screws are set at 55 inch pounds. The muzzle break has been reamed to .020 over bore and it is tight. The stock is not supposed to need bedding. It looks like it should not need bedding. But there is a bit of a shiny place where it has rubbed at some point under the action screws. I am all ears for any ideas.

If this was my rifle, it would've gone back to the factory a long time ago. If you can't get it to shoot w/ some good factory match ammo as a benchmark, and at least one different scope, then it's time to get the manufacturer involved. ESPECIALLY if that manufacturer has reached out several times within this thread.

Check to see if the magazine box is stress free, ( as L.Sherm wrote). That is , when the rifle is fully assembled and screws torqued, the magazine should have a few thousands of clearance between the top edge and the rifle receiver and /or the bottom edge and bottom metal. If it doesn't , there is a possibility the magazine box is interfering with the action fully/properly seating on the bedding surfaces of the gunstock.

OK, as I promised, I wanted to give an update after I glass bedded the rifle. The gun will shoot now. It is very finicky, but I have proven it out that it can shoot. I took it to an indoor range. shooting it from a bag with no sling and no bipod to eliminate anything that might hinder it.

The very best of the best group I have ever shot with it is in the first pic. It is a 5-shot group. The load is 77.5 gr H1000 behind a 208 gr. Hornady ELD-M. Neck tension was next to zero. So I put each round in one at a time.

The next pic is an OK group. It is the exact same load, but with neck tension of .002.

The third group with a Nosler 210 gr Acubond Long Range. It is the exact same load, same neck tension (.002) and same seating depth to the ogive. It shot all over the place as you can see. (Probably a 3-1/2" group). If there is any hope to make these Noslers work, I hope to find out how. I cannot find any more Hornady ELD-M bullets and bought 2 boxes of these Noslers. I also bought some 210 Bergers, but don't want to go through the same pain of tuning them if they also shoot differently.

Anyway, my main point in posting is to say that I was able to get my Bergara to shoot after much experimentation, and getting it glass bedded. Any input on why the Noslers are so radically different and what I might do to make them work is also appreciated. I started a thread on this on the reloading forum if you have input to suggest. Thanks

IMG_1945.jpg
FbrNydm4Tei41So9WrSw1A.jpg
Ryz2UAcyTQu1FSZ9rY8FRw.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts