Brakes vs recoil

Hey guys finally got some pics of the brake on the gun.

031.jpg

032.jpg

029.jpg

028.jpg

Thanks again Darrell and everyone else as well.
Nathan.

In response to your load development questions .... unless you are measuring case stretch over virgin brass, you really don't have any idea of where your max load is. By the time you have a heavy bolt lift or cratered primers, you may be at max.....

In response to your load development questions .... unless you are measuring case stretch over virgin brass, you really don't have any idea of where your max load is. By the time you have a heavy bolt lift or cratered primers, you may be at max.....

Hey Joel with 93 gr of 1000 the primer looked fine now cratering or anything like that, so i went up to 94gr and hopefully the accuracy will be the same, maybe i will have a chance to shoot tomorrow and see.

Thanks again
Nathan

No the stock isnt painted, and the barrel is supposed to be a sendero contour i think its alittle bigger in diameter but not much.

Guys,

Great thread. I have a 300 Jarrett that I was thinking of putting a break on; seems the older I get the less i like recoil.

The question\concern I have in regards to adding a break is the noise level. Granted I understand you can't always have your cake & eat it too. I also do not have any experiance with a muzzle break's, but have always been told that i would not find anyone to hunt with if I used one. So i guess my question is do you ave to make sure you are using good ear muffs to shoot with one? I also realize that ther is no way to get around the noise level going up with a break.

Thanks
SC

Yes, you absolutely need good hearing protection if you value and want to retain your ability to hear. They are louder for the shooter and everyone standing off to either side.

Thanks for the response.

Now I'm going to stick my neck out again. In looking at some of the "long range" shoting vedios it looks to me like no one is wearing ear muffs. So i guess its safe to asume in hunting situations its better to use standard ear plugs for protection.

The reason I ask is that I have a set of Peltor ear muffs for shooting off the bench; I just wasn't sure if the folks hunting with a muzzle break carried thes into the field, or just used ear plugs.

Thanks
SC

I can only speak for myself. I purchase EAR molded-in-ear plugs and carry them with me whenever hunting. Theses plugs are manufactured to fit your ear, in your ear. An EAR rep/trained salesperson places the moldable material in your ear, where is sets up to form a perfect fit. Like glass bedding a barreled action into a stock. The cost for a set of these is about $50. You'll have to research and locate an EAR dealer near you to purchase a set. They will last for years for purposes of hunting and shooting. Even under daily industrial use, they last for three or more years.

When practice shooting, I double up with a set of Peltor PS7 stereo ear protectors. They have electronic noise shut off when the gun is fired. In the absence of loud sounds, the muffs amplify lower decible noise/conversation. With these muffs on over my EAR molded-in-ear plugs, I can amplify the normal level sounds to talk in normal conversation, and when a gun is discharged, I have the hearing protection offered by both the EARs and the Peltors.

When hunting in the wilds of Alaska, I only carry the EAR plugs. They are much more effective than the $1.00 per set disposable foam ear plugs.

Hey fella's just got back from trying some more loads out. It looks like 93gr of 1000 is what i will have to shoot. I tried 93, 93.5, 94, 94.5 and the best group was with the first one it is only shooting 2770fps i would like to get more speed out of it and keep the accuracy. Does anyone know of any accurate, fast loads useing something other than H-1000. Dont get me wrong 2770 is alright i would just like to get around 2850 or so, i have alot of retumbo if yall have had good results with it please let me know. I am shooting 300 gr smk's.

Thanks guys
Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.