Brakes on a hunting gun

Slim13

OK....talk to me people. Interested in hearing from those that hunt with muzzle brakes.

I wore out my heavy barrel on my 7mm Rem Mag. I ended up putting a #3 bartlein on it because I was tired of lugging a 15lb rifle into the backcountry. I'm not recoil sensitive in the least, but with the missing weight in the barrel I'm fighting some muzzle jump that I've never had to deal with before.

I'm thinking about putting a brake on her to help manage the recoil and get the gun to track better. My question is: Have any of you regretted doing it? What kind of hearing protection are you using while hunting?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, advice and opinions. I've never had a braked rifle before and I keep going back and forth on the idea.

I also wear ear plugs around my neck. As a right handed shooter if I get just the left in so I can hear my spotter in my right ear that has been fine as well.

Steve

That's the only thing that's held me back about a brake on my guns. Sometimes elk hunting things happen fast and I don't have time to throw plugs in

I've never felt the recoil from any shot I've ever taken at something that bleeds. Even shooting a .325wsm from a light hunting rifle in an awkward position. Never noticed the recoil as a matter of discomfort. Always seen the critter get hit & been sure of the hit/miss status.

As far as noise, I can't stress enough to the small number here that don't already have chronic tinnitus that you seriously don't want it and brake or not, wear electronic hearing protection while hunting. Please please please protect your hearing. My own tinnitus is 4500Hz, I perceive it around 85dB & it never stops ringing. Everything above 4500Hz is completely missing to me (sorta, as I hear a LOUD shrieking ring in my ears 24x7x365). I'm basically 3/4 deaf. My hearing was taken from me by someone with a bad sense of humor against my will. You have a choice while hunting though.

You won't even know you're actually deaf until you start re-watching a movie you've seen before but now have the subtitles active and find out there's whole wads of conversation and sounds you didn't even know about that make the movie make a lot more sense. It only takes ONE TIME. Any of your hearing that you lose is done forever. NOTHING will bring it back. Ask me how I know.

Watching Saving Private Ryan or any war movie is very different for me than for people with normal hearing but I didn't know until someone commented on particular sounds and I was all like, "what squealing?".

If a brake will help, use it. No matter what, electronic hearing protection does help. Use it.

On rifles up to about 7mm Mag I much prefer NO brake. Brakes are a PITA but do reduce recoil. I've hunted with braked rifles and kept hearing protection around my neck or sitting over my upper arm. When a game animal appears, you will have ten other things on your mind. I've shot my braked 338RUM twice with no hearing protection because the thought never entered my mind and there was little time to get the shot off.

Load some 120gr bullets in that 7mm and see if that helps.

I have a rather bad case of permanent tinnitus from one blast from a braked 300 RUM that I accidentally shot without my hearing protection. That was 5 years ago. I have to sleep with a fan in the bedroom now to create enough background noise so the tinnitus will not keep me awake. If you hunt with friends and family you have to make **** sure they have their hearing protection in also before you pull the trigger...
I wear electronic ear plugs now that are in all day long when hunting with a braked or un braked rifle. I still use a couple brakes but only on a couple rifles dedicate to LR.

Shot a 7RM hunting rifle many many years without a brake. All it really needs is a good recoil pad. You can manage the jump by controlling the forearm or by resting the rifle, closer back toward its balance point on a pack or whatever.

Oh hell...hearing is for young people that don't know any better and get yelled at all the time......at least thats when mine started going away...
I just got a new Tacoma..all the bells and whistles.....cant hear any of them...and i swear those speakers don't work worth a crap....
7mag nor a 7rum ..needs a brake...as for a fact..if you learn to shoot the first shot where it needs to be nothing needs a brake...
Buck up and take the recoil....
But don't forget the hearing protection...
Its even more important than a Condom........

I'm new to the world of brakes. My ridgeline with the factory radial was the first one I'd ever shot.
I'm sold, I doubt I will ever own a rifle in the future without a brake.

I run a brake on every rifle I own except my .22LR and .223 AR. All are used for hunting in various conditions and circumstances. All of my brakes are side ported only. I hate radial brakes. They kick up all kinds of crap in your face and optics.

8.5 & 10+# 6CM w. AxisWorks 3 port (w. 2 different stock configurations, coming soon)
15+# 6.5 SLR w. Badger Thruster
10.2# 6.5 SS w. AxisWorks mini 3 port
8.8# .280AI w. Hawkins 3 port
10.3# 7RM w. APA Micro
15+# .300RUM w. Badger Thruster

I have brakes on all but one of our hunting rifles. They make me a better shooter under field position situations.

I developed mild tinnitus before I learned about SoundGear Electronic Hearing Protection.

I have saved further damage to my own ears by ALWAYS wearing them whether a rifle is braked or not. So comfortable I leave them in my ears all day long, even through lunch breaks.

I've worn them for about 4 to 5 years.

We sell SG in the LRH Store CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE.

upload_2018-6-9_14-48-9.png

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.