Brake coming loose....

Lee in OH

Nothing worse than firing several 5 shot groups and falling of the stool due to how bad the last few are. Then you realize your removeable muzzle brake had come loose during the string.

This happened to me yesterday.

I'm thinking a little teflon tape may help. Any other ideas guys????

Thanks.

i have had that happen to me . i used loctitethe blue stuff just in case i need to remove it.its never moved again.
shocked.gif

You're not saying the brake comes OFF, are you? Loose, no big deal. I can't even tell when mines loose and it does it lots. Never seen it affect the group either.

Mine did this to me today actually. I think some teflon tape could be the ticket. I am going to try that.

On that note, this was the first time I had shot my STW with the muzzle brake. Why anyone would want to shoot a round like this and not have one is beyond me!!! I fell in love with this rifle all over again.

Doesn't come off, but it does loosen. After doing ladder tests, I was shooting the nodes in three shot groups. First two were great, then they got worse. By the end, the groups were about 3" at 200. The ladder testing had the three loads in a nice tight cluster. I knew something wasn't right and the brake was about 1/2 turn loose. I tightened it up and the grops came back. Thanks for the suggestions. Teflon tape and the screwdriver to start...if that doesn't get it done...out comes the loctite. I have blue for my bowhunting gear and scope mounting.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.