BPCRs suck at Long Range!

RMulhern

Is zat so?? Not hardly! I drove to Dawsonville, Ga. this past Wednesday to shoot the River Bend Gun Club two day match and my men....there ain't no finer range in this country than what them ole 'Jawja' boys better cherish than their range! It is truly MIGHTY FINE! Matter of fact...it oughta be called The River Bend Mighty Fine Range as far as this ole country boy is concened! You fellas need to pack ya bags next year....and go shoot this match cuz I plan on going back!

Well...I haven't seen the OFFICIAL RESULTS but the grapevine tells me (Doc Lay) that on Saturday there were two scores from the 600 yd. line of 97 3X and another of 97 0X. Now...for those of you that don't have a clue as to the diameter of the 10 and X ring on the 600 yd. target....the dimensions are 12" and 6" consecutively! In MY BOOK....somebody did some mighty fine shootin and wind readin!! Iffen them ole boys that pulled off those scores had been shootin at a man-sized target....well...they could have put one twixt ya 'nipples' real easy like! My HATS OFF to you fellas whomever ya be....and I'm lookin forward to shakin ya hand when I meets ya!

On Friday we shot a practice match and my rifle (Meacham .45/100) loaded with 570 gr. PJ Smerkers and 100 grs. Goex 2F powder performed just like I expected it to; once I got zeroed....all 10s and Xs from the two short lines and then up comes the 600 yd. zero time and on my #2 sighter....the hammer on the rifle broke clean off!! Do ya think I was SCREWED?? So much so...that it took all I could do to keep from grabbing the rifle by the barrel and winding up with it and flinging it completely off that high firing line I was on! Oh....incidentally...I had a good friend tell me a short time ago that once upon a time....he did that will a muzzle stuffer!! You'd be surprised who it would be BTW!!

Here's the main point I want to make: "Fellas....if any of you are a thinkin that you be shootin an inadequate rifle/cartridge wif BLACKPOWDER.....well....you're BAD WRONG!!" I shot NRA HP for many years and I've seen many an 'ADVANCED MARKSMAN' grin real big when a score of 97 was fired on this same target from 600 yds. using one of the most accurate cartridges of our day/time...the .308 Winchester with the best SP available! True....a 97 wasn't gonna win ya anything most often but it was a respectable score on some days! And when a man with a BPCR shoots this score....well....he's got his head/arse wired together and you can bet your sweet tutu.....he's spent some time on the range pulling the trigger! Not only that.....this guy/guys keep a very up to date and accurate data book!

"HEY GUYS....WHOMEVER YA BE...TAKE A BOW!"

PS:

Oh...if you're a thinkin I'm gonna 'bad mouth' my Meacham rifle....guess again! NO WAY!! When I initially ordered this rifle and in my first conversation with Steve Meacham....he advised me or asked me if I wanted to try out his 'SpeedLock' ignition system! Even though Steve told me it was 'more or less experimental'.....I told him yes! This involves a smaller/lighter firing pin and a skeletonized hammer to decrease locktime and I was willing to give it a go. As it turns out....in conversation with Steve today and learning upon my problem with this rifle....he advised that he has discontinued the 'SpeedLock' trials as the change is just not holding up and he has henceforth gone back to his standard and tried system of old! And I might add that 'old' ain't slow....by any means! It's just a slightly heavier/beefier hammer than what I had initially put in this rifle and tomorrow this action will be on the way to Meacham Tool & Die & Hardware via FedEx overnite!! FULL WARRANTY I might add!!

"BPCR are accurate! Maybe it's YOU.....that needs to be improved!!"

RiverBendGunClub600yd.jpg

View from the River Bend Gun Club 600 yd. line

Last edited:
Well, I for one don't have a clue what kind of rifle you are talking about so would you mind posting a picture of a rilfe or two.

If I had a 97 at 600 yards with any CFR I would certainly frame it.:D

Yep...I'm with Buffalobob...would like to see some pics of that shooter. ;)
That's some right fine shooting with an old cartridge and iron sights my friend...something most folks now days couldn't do with out the set-ups they have. ;)

LR Rifle!

Here it is boys! Sorry I'm late posting. Been busier than a one legged man at an arse kickin contest lately! This one is a photo off Meacham's website but my .45/100 is exactly like this with the exception that my cheekpiece is on the opposite side! One fine and accurate piece of equipment....I might add! Got the new hammer back in and she's working good!

LRMeachamHiWallRifle.jpg

And they put the cross sticks on the barrel! I said to myself, "this sure ain't gonna work" then proceeded to witness a fella shoot a sub MOA group at 500 Meters in a variable 7 mph wind.

The group was one 1 shot on each of 5 rams. I volunteered to set the targets to be sure I saw what I saw. And I saw what I saw.:eek: 5 shots in less than the width of my hand and maybe an inch of vertical. And that with the bullet in the air long enough to eat a sandwich.:D

They shoot 100% lead bullets that leave shiny little 'dimes' at the steel targets. Kinda cute.

I talked with the shooter. He had a rifle w/10000 recorded rounds through it. The one he was shooting that day had 5000 through it.

Maybe we ought to practice a bit more.;)

Barrel on Crossstixs!

And they put the cross sticks on the barrel! I said to myself, "this sure ain't gonna work" then proceeded to witness a fella shoot a sub MOA group at 500 Meters in a variable 7 mph wind.

The group was one 1 shot on each of 5 rams. I volunteered to set the targets to be sure I saw what I saw. And I saw what I saw.:eek: 5 shots in less than the width of my hand and maybe an inch of vertical. And that with the bullet in the air long enough to eat a sandwich.:D

They shoot 100% lead bullets that leave shiny little 'dimes' at the steel targets. Kinda cute.

I talked with the shooter. He had a rifle w/10000 recorded rounds through it. The one he was shooting that day had 5000 through it.

Maybe we ought to practice a bit more.;)

royinidaho

Take one of your rifles in your hand holding it by the small of the stock....hold it vertically and using a plastic hammer.....tap up and down the barrel lightly with the hammer! At some point....maybe extending back from the muzzle anywhere from 2" to 12"....there will be less VIBRATION felt in your hand and THAT is the DEAD SPOT on the barrel! That's where the sticks should be placed!!

A good friend of mine shoots on the US muzzle loader team, he as a Parker Hale 451 and an original rifle that he routinely shoots very high 90's at 600 yds usually placing in the top three.

I was with him one day his neighbors farm shooting at 600 yds boy did he draw a crowd, they couldn't beleave he was possible to shoot a muzzle loader that far. His long range load is 540gr .451 pure lead bullet pushed by 140gr of FF. The rifle does recoil a little with that load.

there is a shooting range in Hotchkiss Colo named the "The Billie Dixon memorial" or something to that effect in honor of one of the longest recorded shots in history.....he made a shot on an indian on horseback at what i seem to remember as over a mile at the battle of indian wells???.....anybody out there have all the facts on this amazing feat? AJ

Wow! What a story (billy dixon)
i'm glad that someone out there has the same view of the sharps
that i do one of the best long rang guns ever built
i just wish i had the fund's to buy one

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.