Boyd's Stocks

Thank you for your input, they are the only maker of the model of Ruger I have for a vertical grip, I am surprised the other stock makers are not doing vertical grips for the Ruger M77 Mark II.

I am looking to upgrade my Ruger M77 Mark II factory stock, I want one with the vertical grip, but McMillan and Manners do not seem to make one for the Ruger, but I did find Boyd's makes one for my rifle called the Pro Varmint, has anyone handled one of these stocks? It looks like a McMillan style A3 with the wider forend. I have never held a Boyd's stock, I was wondering how strong they are and if they fit your rifle when received or if you have to do some modifications to have them fit? They also have the at-one that I have been looking at as well, but was really wanting the vertical grip like what is on the Pro-Varmint, any information you could provide on Boyd's would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I put one on a pre 64 338 it fit perfect and handles great

I've got the AT-one thumbhole on one of my rifles. I like it a lot. I don't have a ton of use on it yet because the gun is fairly new but I've been pleased with it so far.

I have several laminated Boyd's stocks on my Ruger 77mk2 rifles.
They are well made and a great value. Big selection of colors too.
The fit is good enough assemble the rig and go hunting with.
Best accuracy may require some adjustments or bedding.
None of mine have been pillar bedded, so far.
In fact I am currently awaiting delivery on a thumb hole short action stock I found on their bargain page.

Study the web site, then call their customer service number. Those people are super nice and helpful.
Your stock will be made to order and delivery runs around two weeks on the last one I had built.

Call soon, I think they may have a maintenance shutdown scheduled this summer which would affect manufacturing and delivery dates.

I know with the price point on these stocks is great, if nothing changes on the stock with the environment it is in (humidity, extreme cold) they are a great alternative to the expensive McMillan and Manners stocks. I have a McMillan on a custom rifle and it is a very nice stock.

I put an AT-1 under a .223 788 to use as a beginner's CF rifle thinking that being able to adjust the rifle to the shooter would be a good thing. I've put two Howa 1500 Mini's in Boyd's stocks, one got full pillar bed treatment and the other I just bedded the recoil lug area. I've got one for a Savage LA build going on right now. It is getting a full pillar bedding and I see why some stock makers won't make LA Savage stocks. I like the Boyd's that I've purchased, fit is good out of the box and they're nicely finished. Even the one that I ordered unfinished was nicely turned out and ready for finish with just a final sanding.

I don't take rifles out in weather extremes so my experience is limited, but I've not seen these stocks respond to differences in the weather that I have exposed them to the way that wood stocks are fabled to.

I have a three of Boyd's Pro Varmint stocks.You do have to bed them,but once done,
Bergara B-14.jpg
they are a good stock.I dropped my Bergara B-14 in one that I bedded for my Remington Sendero.It was a perfect drop in fit and shoots much better in it than the factory stock.

I have a Bergara B14 HMR if the one for the Ruger turns out good, I will see about updating the Bergara, just have to verify the barrel channel will work.

I have a pro-varmint on a 260 Rem. The fit was good although I bedded it and the barrel channel was perfect for a Remington varmint weight barrel. It rides the bags pretty well for a rounded forend and works well with the Harris bipod I have on it. I remove the rear and 2nd front sling swivel stud when I shoot off bags because they are always where I want the front and rear bag to be. One thing I don't like is the cutout along the bottom. I would prefer it to be all the way to the bottom of the pistol grip for riding the rear bag. That way I could leave the sling stud installed.
Personally I'm not much on thumb hole stocks. I don't like to have to remove my hand to work the bolt. I find it really slows you down cycling the action and re-gripping especially if you have to make a quick follow up shot. You might also check Stocky's Stocks to see if they have something you like.