Boyd's Stocks

Kmccord

I am looking to upgrade my Ruger M77 Mark II factory stock, I want one with the vertical grip, but McMillan and Manners do not seem to make one for the Ruger, but I did find Boyd's makes one for my rifle called the Pro Varmint, has anyone handled one of these stocks? It looks like a McMillan style A3 with the wider forend. I have never held a Boyd's stock, I was wondering how strong they are and if they fit your rifle when received or if you have to do some modifications to have them fit? They also have the at-one that I have been looking at as well, but was really wanting the vertical grip like what is on the Pro-Varmint, any information you could provide on Boyd's would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I had one on a savage 223. The vertical fore grip is nice , it was fairly thick. I've always had to modify the barrel channels on the Boyd's to fit bigger barrels and had to mod one to fit savage accutrigger once. They are good for the money. I don't know if they do now but when I bought mine I don't think pillar bedded was an option, I could be wrong but that's the only thing I don't like about the one I have. Hope this helps !

They typically are tight to the barrel to allow you to modify to your barrel. It just takes a little sanding to get it the way you want it to fit. I have been running them for a few years and really like them. They are made about an hour from me and they have great customer service. If you have questions about them you can call and they are very informative.

Attachments

• 123_1_20200831_191300.jpeg
    123_1_20200831_191300.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210131_194738.jpg
    20210131_194738.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 90
I had one on a savage 223. The vertical fore grip is nice , it was fairly thick. I've always had to modify the barrel channels on the Boyd's to fit bigger barrels and had to mod one to fit savage accutrigger once. They are good for the money. I don't know if they do now but when I bought mine I don't think pillar bedded was an option, I could be wrong but that's the only thing I don't like about the one I have. Hope this helps !
This does help, I see they have the option to add Pillar bedding and adjustable comb, with that add on along with adding the Limbsaver butt pad, I can get it for a little over 300.00. It appears it only come in textured paint, which is fine, I was never big into laminated wood, some are pretty, but just not that crazy about a lot of the designs.

They typically are tight to the barrel to allow you to modify to your barrel. It just takes a little sanding to get it the way you want it to fit. I have been running them for a few years and really like them. They are made about an hour from me and they have great customer service. If you have questions about them you can call and they are very informative.
How do you like that thumbhole At-One stock, I have really been debating myself on that one or the Pro Varmint. I have a crossbow that has that pistol type grip like that one and it is very comfortable to shoot. The only thing about that stock I don't like is the darn shiny aluminum butt pad. I guess if one wanted, they could paint it..

How do you like that thumbhole At-One stock, I have really been debating myself on that one or the Pro Varmint. I have a crossbow that has that pistol type grip like that one and it is very comfortable to shoot. The only thing about that stock I don't like is the darn shiny aluminum butt pad. I guess if one wanted, they could paint it..
I really like it, it gives you very good control of the gun. The only down side is your thumb is wrapped around the stock and if you need to click the safe off it's a another step to pull your thumb out and push up. Never bothered me but it may bother some. I also I have never noticed that before on the pad so thanks for pointing that out. It will be getting painted now.

Boyd's are great for the money. They all definitely need bedding and I letting checked. The Limbsaver recoil pad option is a must, the Boyd's pad is very hard. My grandson has the Pro Varmint which I bedded on his 7mm-08.

All of the Boyd's stocks are inletted to fit by a #2 contour. I have one on my old Model 670 225 Winchester, it's a good stock and will require some final inletting to bed the action, I bought it before they offered the pillar bedding option.

3 of my 5 ruger 77 hawkeyes are wearing McMillan stocks. They are awesome stocks. Expensive, but awesome.

I have a Boyd's thumb hole stock on a Tikka T3 in .243 Win and is one of my favorites. The fit was perfect out of the box. Really good people to do business with. Ran across them at an NRA Convention a couple years ago. They seem to have wooden stock making down to a science using CNC equipment. I think you would be happy with their stocks.