Boyds Stock

tommyc279

I am building a rem 700 sps varmint, for a long range shooter. I am finding it quite hard to locate a stock that fit a rem 700 ADL Short action with a varmint barrel contour. I have a come across this stock from Boyds gun stocks, it's a lam wood thumbhole stock, that fits the ADL with a varmint barrel contour. My question is are these good stocks and has anyone had any long term experience with one. I know I will need to have the action bedded. Any feedback would be great!

I never owned a Boyd's stock, someone else will chime in on that. You should be able to find many stocks to fit your setup. Manners, Mcmillan, HS Precision, Bell and Carlson--just to name a few. Check out this site- stockysstocks.com.

the boyds thumbhole stocks are comfortable and good looking although not fancy like a custom laminate. The price is right. Sometimes they take a bit of fitting on the barrel channel and bottom metal when you bed it.

One of my hunting partners has 2 of them for 700 VLS (bdl bottom metal) rifles. Nice for shooting PD's and squirrels...

I have three of them on Remington 700's .223, 2 ea. .243, and feel they do me a good job. Normally there is some work in fitting them. I can't remember but I bought 2 ea. Rem 700 SPS's and I think they were close on these two. I do my own barrel installation and bedding so it isn't a big deal with my milling machine.

I have one on my Vanguard sporter, and I am pretty happy with it. It's a good looking setup, and very stiff. Fitting was pretty easy, and I bedded the action with Marine-tex and floated the barrel. Shoots much better, and more consistently now than when it was in it's cheap tupperware stock.

It was a fiasco getting the stock, as they were less than honest about when it would ship. I love the stock, but I doubt I would do business with them again.

I own 3 of them. Two are the what I think they call the Varmint thumbhole, and one is the thumbhole featherweight version. I like them a lot and they fit me pretty well. I have pillar and Devcon bedded them as well, I don't think many would be happy with the fit to the action they have prior to bedding. The featherweight version has been inlet for a DBM bottom metal and it looks and handles great.

i own three boyds stocks and like them except i bought a featherweight thumb hole for my 30.06 mod 70. Because i needed a left hand stock the featherweight was the only thumbhole available. my problem is i get bad cheek slap and was wondering if anybody knows a way to cure this? Does changing the length of the stock make a difference? i couldn't find any answers in my search so if the answer is already posted somewhere my apologies.
thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts