Boyds gunstocks

Waynard

Any one try Boyds gunstocks? Is the drop in fit ok? Would it be better to glass bed the stock thats on the rifle now? Looking to maybe upgrade a Savage mod.11

W, Boyd's are a great value for the money, strong and look good. Like any new stock the inletting should be checked and the Boyd's all need bedding. Bedding the stock on the rifle now depends on the stock material. Wood, fiberglass and like composites will be beddable while the Tupperware/Plastic stocks are a waste of time.

W, Boyd's are a great value for the money, strong and look good. Like any new stock the inletting should be checked and the Boyd's all need bedding. Bedding the stock on the rifle now depends on the stock material. Wood, fiberglass and like composites will be beddable while the Tupperware/Plastic stocks are a waste of time.

+1 gun)

I just ordered one of thier pro varmint rem 700 stocks with adjustable cheek piece for a budget LR rig I'm putting together for my dad. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Attachments

• boydstock.jpg
    boydstock.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 103
I owned two pro varmint formerly known as the tacticool stocks. One was a 7 rem mag the other a my 308 improved (used 30 br reamer headspaced as a 308). I didn't bother to bed either one, just made sure there were no binding areas and free floated the barrels. Torqued front action screws to 40 and rear to 35 in/lbs. Both rifles shot excellent groups.

Sold the 7 mag but still have the 308. That 308 shoots ragged holes at 100yds.

I know I should bed those stocks...but they are shooting just fine without.

I just bought a "classic" laminate the other day. It was not exactly drop in though, I had to inlet a little to allow the mag. box screw to clear and the escutcheon was set a little deeper in the stock so I ground a little off the front action screw so it wouldnt bind on the bolt lug. Neither fix was a big deal though, with those two exceptions the stock fits nicley and looks good, a big improvement over the factory ADL stock.

I have a few, on two the actions fit fine and shot well, one I had pillar and glass bedded before using and shoots well(although it did fit before), one is a tacticool and they sprayed the inlet area for the action with a rough coating and it needs to be pillar and glass bedded before it is usable.

Thanks for all the info. So from what I'm gathering here is it's kind of hit and miss as to whether or not you can get a good stock that needs nothing.

I thought I would share a photo of mine. this is a stevens 200 I put a block in the mag well so it is single shot.I also Bedded the action. Fit was good but i did open up the barrel channel a bit more just for some extra room with the bull barrel. I went out on limb and got blue.

My dad also got one in red but had some issues with fitment because i guess savage changed some bottom metal shape. He ended up having to send his bottom metal and hardware in to boyds for them to get it right. In the end they did get it right.
IMG_0799_crop_zpsq9vymn7s.jpg

At the price they are a very good buy... I always figure to do minor work to get a good fit with them... I pillared bedded the last one with pillars off of e-bay.. Made it very easy... If I was looking to get a rifle up and shooting at a cheap price and still be full functional and look good their stocks would be on the list. Would I rather have a $500 stock made of composite and aluminum bedding blocks??? Yes... but for the $99 and fast service they provide a very very good value.. Imagine buying a 6x6 and trying to whittle it down... They come at least 95-99% inlet... Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.