BOYDS, AtOne, or Pro Varmint Savage stock

7stw

Ok all ye, SAVAGE owners, I just bought a Model 10, Tactical, 308, non Accustock. Have looked a few replacement stocks, and have came down to the AtOne, or the Pro Varmint, both are BOYDS.
Looking for any inputs, pros, cons, goods bads, or even suggestions. New to the Savage game, love it, and all the possibilities.
Don't know why I didn't do this before now.
Even considered the Bobby Hart, on Stockys site too!
Thoughts?
Thanks to all, especially the barrel nut cranks!

I have a Choate tactical stock and have really liked it. They now build it with a LOP and cheek riser. It is $500 though, not sure what your budget is for a stock. I have a buddy with a MDT LSS chassis on his Savage. Just a few more options.

7, in law has the Pro-Varmint and likes it a lot. He added a premium recoil pad and the nutmeg color. I would personally prefer the AtOne.

These are Ruger American Rimfires.

I've been using a Pro Varmint for a long time. I like it. I've had more than one.

I have an "At-One. It points and feels very very nice but is still untested.

I had the same dilemma several months ago. I went with the pro-varmit and added the optional adjustable cheek riser and I'm very happy with it.
IMG_20180408_165707415.jpg

IMG_20180313_182912797.jpg

Add the adj cheek riser to the pro varmint would be my choice in forest camo. I have an older thumbhole from them works awesome

Might add Boyd's stocks benefit greatly with epoxy bedding. I've bedded several for friends and found inletting a bit loose. Also Boyd's inletting needs to be checked before bedding for fit and relieved if needed. Accuracy was greatly improved on all. Perhaps have the bedding done by a experienced person since Savages are more difficult to bed than most. Good luck

Might add Boyd's stocks benefit greatly with epoxy bedding. I've bedded several for friends and found inletting a bit loose. Also Boyd's inletting needs to be checked before bedding for fit and relieved if needed. Accuracy was greatly improved on all. Perhaps have the bedding done by a experienced person since Savages are more difficult to bed than most. Good luck

I've bedded a few, non savage rifles, but did wonder how you do go about the area around the nut. That could cause a problem I'm sure.
I'm ok with knowing a bedding was in order, and actually expect that.
I either use bedrock, or jb, and floor wax for release.

Ya it's pepper. The cheek riser takes an Allen wrench to adjust, loosen two screws raise/lower then tighten screws down, so I just set it once and leave it and I'm happy, but if you like to change it alot for different shooting positions you probably would not like it.

I've been told to not bed a Savage in front of the recoil lug. So I never have. It does take dealing with the barrel nut out of the equation.

I put my wife's 6.5CM in one and wish it had the cheek riser...I'm thinking to send it back and have it done. My only complaint about EGW bases are they are very high and even with low rings the scope can be very high.

The Pro Varmint stock feels great! I built my last on a Boyds thumb hole and wish I would have done the Pro Varmint.
2018-03-16 23.20.58.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.