Boyd Heaton or any one else with experience

Warren Barrett

with Retumbo powder. I`ve tried some in my 308 Baer and it gave me great groups at 1140yds. with 216 Clinch River bullets. But, after about 20 rounds, during cleaning there was a good bit of solid streaks of carbon( I guess) coming out on the patches. Also, on the end of the muzzle was a coating of this carbon or whatever that was thicker, blacker, and tougher than I have ever witnessed before. This stuff had to be soaked for a while to be a able to scratch it off with my finger nails. Is this normal for this powder? I like the groups that it`s producing but not the clean-up. The primers being used are 210 Match. I`m wondering if this situation could be helped with 215 Match primers somehow with the burning. I just figure the 210`s would be better with the extreme spread. Any explanations?
Also do any of you use magnum primers with low extreme spreads (215 Match)?
thanks, Warren

Warren,I have not had that problem using Retumbo and the 215's.I shoot Retumbo in both my 300 Ultra's and an 7 STW and I have alway's used the 215m's when burning over 75 grain's of powder......E.S. in my match gun's are both in the 8 to 10 f.p.s. range............Would'nt hurt to try them.If you are at max load's with the 210's back off a few grain's and try the 215's.Hope this helped some.....

Warren

Sounds like something in your cleaning process might need help also. What kind of bore solvent do you use?

I use the long bore tech rods with the Kleen Bore hard plastic bristle brushes and Montana Extreme or Butches Bore shine. Almost never use bronze brushes anymore. I also use Isso bore paste on plastic brush to get rid of that carbon ring at edge of throat when it builds up. Either of those two solvents really cut carbon from what I have seen better than others.

I finish up with a wet patch of Kroil and then two dry patches. Kroil is a penetrating oil that seems to really help prevent buildups of carbon and copper and makes it come out easier.

Just borescoped both of my comp guns and clean as could be, no scratching on crown, throats etc. One has about 800 rds and other about 300.

Back in the archives there are a couple threads on cleaning.

Good Luck

BH

Bountyhunter, I also use Bore Tech cleaning rods. As for brushes, nylon brush with brass or bronze core is used with Iosso to rid the carbon. As for the solvents, I`ve been using Butch`s Bore Shine, and Sweets a little. I haven`t had a problem with my cleaning method. This rifle has been cleaned about every 15 or 20 rounds since the break in. I`m very particular with the cleaning of my barrels. Graph oil was put in the barrel before this powder was used. Surely this would not have caused it.

Warren,

I use FC215Ms also & have low ES & SD spreads with the load I'm using (5010 pulldown) in a 7mmRUM, but most others are so-so. My main winter project with it is experimenting with 210s & Retumbo also. The Retumbo came in last week after a 1 1/2 month backorder....
mad.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts