Boyd Heaton and 338-378

JustC

Just watched one of the videos (1 I think), that's some sweet shooting going on there. I will be aquiring number 2 soon. You boys are having some serious fun.....I can't get a shot like that here, it's too flat. Any ideas which rangefinder will work better for ranging a target with no background?

Boyd, what recipe is working in your 300RUM? I will be picking up mine from the smith this afternoon
cool.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I have a 30" 10twist with a vais screwed on her. I plan on using 200 and 220gr bullets, so I would think your powder choice from what I saw on the video would be a huge jumpstart for me in finding a recipe. Also, if it helps, I'm on the Eastern shore of MD so pretty much at sea level with high humidity.

Thanks

JustC,Did the video you watched have HOW TO footage in it..The powder I use with bullets over 200gr is Retumbo....I would shoot the 240's if I were you...Start at 79gr and work up....I am getting a touch over 3000fps with the 240's

Hey,see my post in "The Basics". Where do I find those videos?

[ 05-14-2003: Message edited by: Petander ]

Boyd, the one I watched is the one where you shoot the group from the bench at the beginning,...it also has Hart showing his rifles in it.

I picked her up tonight, and she looks good. I am glad he finished the barrel at just shy of 1". I also have Wilson dies for it. I will be shhot-clean,..shoot-clean,...shoot-clean for a day or two, but then it's down to business.

Thanks for the info,....I have some retumbo on order, but no telling when they will get it in.
frown.gif
I guess I can just use some N165 or RL25 to break in the barrel, light loads and a lot of TLC.

You'll like the RL25 and may want to stick with it too, I've got a pretty good load with the 220 SMK at 87gr but it's a max load so work up if you go with it.

I also am getting nice groups with RL25 and the 178 A-Max at 95gr, about max load too.

RL22 has been super too. I'm settling on 88gr with the 178gr A-Max, about max too.
smile.gif

I have the 8lb container of VN 165 from the smith, for finishing break-in. Does anyone have the load range for this powder in this caliber?

Brent, thanks for the input on the RL25, I may have to get another can of that,...I am sure this rig is gonne like to eat powder
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.