Box Test Result of IOR 3X18X42 with MP-8 Reticule

Ok Guys

Wher do I get my hands on a box test target? I never seen them here in the UK.

Can I download one? If so have you kind people got a link?;)

Thanks Guys

That was a hoot

Desert Fox, now I know why I don't spend time on that board. That was hilarious especially coming from a bunch of pro Luppy owners (scopes that can really have some fun tracking).

As far I am concerned as a hunter, I only one to take ONE shot at my target. I rarely desire to dial up then force my self to shoot my game 5 times in order to kill it. I guess they are going for really, really dead:rolleyes:

If that first shot doesn't go where I dialed, who cares about the next 4 or forty?

As I mentioned in the article on the home page, a scope has to work right THE FIRST TIME EVERYTIME. If you dial up 3 MOA and you get 3 MOA, then your scope is dead on.

The fact that it might actually measure 3.23568298589" WHO GIVES A RIP. That is why we calibrate our drop charts to our rifles to our optics.

I loved it when they said "if the scope doesn't move up exactly 1/4" per click, you will miss based off your ballistics program" OMG. You mean to say that a ballistics program is always right? That's hillarious.

Obviously, these guys are pretty anal about only doing things one way. They don't seem to see that as long as the goal is met with confidence, just doesn't matter. As much testing as they may do, their procedure doesn't leave much imagination to account for different results that may still be positive.

I was orig taken that the scope was way off in its adjustments until I reread the distance was longer then 100yds and that the clicks was more then 1/4" but a true 1/4 MIN.

Looks like you have a good scope. If you have interest, you can read how I test my scope. A bit more involved then your box test and will show if there is any drift or stickiness in the mechanicals.

That is one very nice shooting rig as your final two shots show. I can't believe that someone actually said that your rezero of two shots (shot 6)overlapping may not be an accurate representation of zeroing performance.

This from guys that think 1/2 MOA is a good thing and doing the luppy two step normal... Kills me.

To make a test target, just get a piece of white/tan paper and put a normal target in the middle. Aim dead center and dial around the target. Measure the target afterwards. Just put plumb lines on the target so you can see any vertical or horizontal dispersion.

Jerry

Very good test, because of the excellent accuracy of both the scope and rifle, as well as the shooter of course...
thumb.gif

Thanks MP. Aint that funny. One guy there was challenging me to shoot with them at 1K just to prove that my theory doesn't hold water. I wonder which theory he was refering to. All I said was, the MP-8 reticule has a total of 180 inches available to compensate for the wind, without touching the dial and, if you need more than that, you should not shoot. He also said at last year National, he has to dial 11MOA wind just to stay inside 9 ring. Well at 1K, with my 155 Scenar load at 2925 fps, that amount to 16MPH wind according to Exbal. I don't compete but I've been at our range, when the the wind were gusting at 12 to 15 miles per hour and in those conditions my rifle never leave the case. Either this guy is a gifted shooter or he is full of hot air.

Shoot in the wind

DF, when the wind blows, GO SHOOT. It is a hoot and much more fun then shooting in the calm.

We know our rifles will hit the target at some outrageous distances. Now the fun part of driving that bullet in the wind is why I build accurate rifles.

Yes, 308 shooters do dial in ALOT for windage at LR. Big reason why I don't shoot the 308 in LR hunting situations. It is a ballistic dog. In the same winds, it will drift 40 to 75% MORE then a fast 6.5 or 7mm. That takes alot of skill to drive well in gusty air.

But that's the whole point. Get out there and shoot when conditions are not ideal. It will not take you long to hit your target. With that wonderful MP8 reticle, alot quicker then someone with a reg duplex.

Dope, aim, shoot, miss, figure where on the reticle the shot landed, adjust by moving that point on the reticle to your target, shoot, hit.

Yes, its that easy, that fast and that accurate.

I think you might have a bit less then 180mins in the vertical portion of the reticle though. You would need 90 hash marks as I believe they are on 2 MOA spacings. however, it is alot and I really like the design. Just no money to buy :(

Jerry

MP, Here's the spec. for MP-8 reticule

mp8b.gif

There's a total of 15Mil on the elevation from the top to the bottom. I zeroed my rifle at the center dot, therefore, I have 10 Mil available without moving the elevation turret. That's alot of elevation, inches, available to you at 1000 yards (360").

I'm lousy at judging wind. That's the reason why I don't shoot at those extreme. I hate missing my target. I'm looking at this from the hunters point of view. That might change soon though, as I'm going start competing at our club precision rifle shoot.

Last edited:
Wind doping

DH, most of us aren't that good at wind doping either. However, practise will improve that skill.

Love that reticle and this is how easy it will be to hit at LR.

You dial up for elevation and the bullet lands properly but off to one side.

Let's say it lands 2 big hash marks to the left. You now put that second hash mark on your target and fire.....HIT

As long as the wind is steady, that's all there is to it. Second shot hits is really up to the skill of the shooter. In time, you get better at doping and you will adjust for more first shot hits.

Good luck.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.