Box Test Result of IOR 3X18X42 with MP-8 Reticule

Desert Fox

Scope quality can be measured by how good it tracks. One way to find out is to do a box test. Here's the result of the IOR's box test at 110 yards. I'm using the 155 grain Lapua Scenar for my 308 for this box test. I initially fired three shot group on another target to see if my rifle zero is still on. I'm using a new batch of ammo, that I reloaded, using Winchester brass. I normally use Federal brass but I want to find out if Winchester will work with my rifle since I must have a truckload of them. The Winchester shoot half an inch low when compared with Federal but group just as well, so I left it alone.

Fired the first shot at the center of the target and noted that the bullet impacted just as predicted, half inch low. I then dialed the elevation knob 3MOA up and windage 3MOA right and fired shot no.2. I then turned the elevation turret 6MOA down for shot no.3. For my 4th shot I totally got confused and dialed a total of 9MOA instead of 6. As you can see, shot no.4 ended up at the edge at the target. I went ahead and dialed the elevation turret 6MOA up, carefull this time not to make mistake, and fired shot no. 5. On shot no.6, I just reset both my elevation and windage dial back to my original zero and fired. And here the result!!!

Picture100.jpg

Box test

I have done the same test many times on my BR scopes. There are a few things I have learned:
1. Your scope must be dednutz level, not canted even slightly.
2.Your rest must be level.
3.The target must be levelled.

With 1/4 min clicks, I hit the upper left corner of a 1" square at 100 yds, then move four clicks right, four down, four left and finally four up so that the first and fifth shots should touch.
If your rifle is extremely accurate and the scope performs properly, you should be able to hit each corner.

"Scope quality can be measured by how good it tracks." Yes but not by using a rifle that can't shoot .0000 (impossible any way).

Couldn't you just click the scope and note the position of the scopes cross hairs?

If you're going to do a test you can't use a rifle to determine if a scope tracks correctly to many variables in the rifle to have a "true" scientific test performed. You would have to use the scope independently of the rifle for a test of the tracking abilities. If your saying that the scope tracked well when used with recoil and shock then I'll buy that.

When tracking a scope and firing the weapon it shouldn't be used to determine if the scope actually tracks correctly.

The point of aim and point of impact must both be equally accurate. If your gun shoots .25 moa @ 100 yards then you would have an error of .125 moa while your scope has much less of an error probably in the +/-.005 thou.

As one member pointed out everything must be exact, the scope is level, what supports the weapon is level and the target is level.

IOR scopes claim a true .25 moa or (.5 moa) which is not .25 inches but .26175 (.5235) respectivly. At 110 yards one click actually equals .2885 (.577) and one moa is 1.154 as compared to the 1.047 true moa @ 100 yards. Your target is the standard 1 inch squares you will not be "dead nutzs" on anything if your tests do not relate to each other in accuracy.

I understand the test you're doing here but I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about high quality scopes not tracking as mathematically they should.

Just my two cents.

Well, except the fact the last bullet landing right on top of the first bullet is a pretty darn good indication of scope and rifle repeatability. ;)

But I agree there are more accurate ways to examine scopes by themselves. I've come to like doing a bunch of clicking in front of a collimator as you can learn things about a scope doing that you're never going to notice just shooting it. Though in the end you must also see if it can do it with the recoil.

i used a 6ft long piece of construction styrofoam board(tyvek) to do a similar test ona super sniper / m1a combo. made my target point of aim near the bottom, put a 1" pastie every 10.5''up from their along a straight line i added for leveling. leveled the target at 100yds(checked w LRF) ran the test by firing 1 round, adding 10 moa, firig another all the way up and down 50moa. i was amazed, the SS worked perfectly, w the every shot hitting close to the cooresponding pastie, and the first and last shots 1/2'' apart. didnt check the windage, but 9it was a fun exercise, and showed me how well the scope worked.

lear

Desert Fox,

Glad to see your 3-18 working well. Mine did not. Got it directly from Val @ IOR last spring. Incredible glass and reticle. Was able to print a 4.25" 3-shot group at 818 yds with my 7.5 lb 30-06 Ackley Imp pushing 180's to 3000 fps. Shot very well, for about 50 rounds. Then it fell apart internally. Would not focus. The more I worked the power ring the worse it got. I could actually hear stuff inside, grinding around. Sent it back to IOR. Lost my faith in it. End of story.

Keep your warranty paperwork close by.

Big Al

I have thought about doing the box test but I would like to see more rounds shot than the above post. I have considered using my Savage 22-250 which is capable of around 0.25-0.3" at 100 yds. Run the circuit until you have 5 shots in each group. If you still have 0.25-0.3" groups (assuming no called pulled shots) then you are in business. It would be cheaper to shoot that than a large bore shooting accubonds and double the powder.
Repeatable AND consistent are the two factors, and I think 5 shot groups would tend to show both factors better.

It would just be nice if quality control were such that you could buy a quality scope and count on it right out of the box every time. It's nice to dream.

IOR scopes claim a true .25 moa or (.5 moa) which is not .25 inches but .26175 (.5235) respectivly. At 110 yards one click actually equals .2885 (.577) and one moa is 1.154 as compared to the 1.047 true moa @ 100 yards. Your target is the standard 1 inch squares you will not be "dead nutzs" on anything if your tests do not relate to each other in accuracy.

Dave, I did a little calculation base on your number and I have these result

1.154X3=3.462-hole no.2 target measured about 3.5" high and 3.75" right of hole no.1
1.154X6=6.94-hole no.3 target measured 7" below shot no.2
1.154X9=10.386-hole no.4 target measured around 9.8" gave and take from hole.3
1.154X6=6.94-hole no.5 target measured around 6.75" gave and take from hole.4
and finally shoot no.6 overlapped shot no.1

That's pretty darn close, considering the limitation of my test with an afternoon wind at our range to contained with and questionable shooter's ability. I think that tells enough about the scope tracking ability.

I made the biggest mistake by posting this at the Snipers Hide Forum and they almost crucified me over there. I only have Scott from Liberty Optics bailing me and they dumped on him too. I should have stayed here on friendly turf. Live and learn.
Box Test Result of IOR 3X18X42 with MP-8 Reticule - Sniper's Hide Forums

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.