Bow vs Pistol...Poll...Another fight night.

Minimum pistol with bow lethality

• 9mm Luger

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • 40 S&W

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 357 Magnum

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • 10 mm (the best mm)

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • 44 Mag (do you feel lucky?)

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • 475 Linebaugh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 454 Casull

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500 S&W

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Less than 9mm? Seriously? You gonna vote here?

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • More than 500 S&W? Seriously? You gonna vote here?

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Sloth....unless converting size to distance traveled....then a Slug....obviously....unless it's a shotgun slug...then much faster than both!
You are just too funny for this forum. I can't keep up with you. I surender.
I have shot close to 100 big game animals with a revolver. Pigs, Stag, Whitetail. Red dot and scope on all but a few as my eyes are not what they once used to be, and it extends my range to 100+ yards. Pigs and Stags running 240 gr XTP's at 1250fps. All but a few were DRT. Hits like a hammer. On whitetail i ended up opening up and deepening the hollow point removing 9 grains, and they stopped running. Still getting exits on the majority, just thinner skinned than pigs and stags, so the 231 grainers open faster and expend more energy inside = DRT.
With my 10mm and 41 mag i get very comparable results. 40-50 yard runs, shots inside of 50 yards. I guess i could open the hollow points on the 210 gr XTP's on the 41 mag, but I mostly use the 44 anyway.
Most comparable to a bow kill is the 10mm for sure. 180 gr XTP.
SnT
Okay, I have never claimed to know as much as you fellows know, but I do have my opinions based on somewhere around 70 years of doing things. I have never been one that has to win, so I lose often. If y'all want to make long shots with your 10mm pistols and bows and arrows, knock yourselves out. I shoot a 460 S&W with a Burris scope on it for long shots. I'll say long for me would be approaching 100 yards and out to 125 or maybe 150 on a really big pig.

I have a 3 1/2 inch 10mm that I shoot hogs with, and perhaps it is the short barrel that keeps my range down to under 50 yards. I have a new 6 inch 1911 in 10mm that I will be trying out for the first time this fall. Maybe that will be a 100-yard shooter with hand-loaded 180 XTPs. It is a Springfield with a factory-installed Trijicon RMR sight and a friend who shoots free-hand shot about a six or 8-inch group of 9 rounds at 100 yards. Me, about a two-foot group. I am not crazy about the 1911 frame. Maybe I'll get used to it. I do love the 6-inch bbl and the RMR red dot sight. But I doubt that I will be making 100-yard shots with the 6-inch Springfield even with a good rest. Just my ethics. I know MY capabilities. For those longer shots, I will use my 460. I know OUR capabilities.

You are just too funny for this forum. I can't keep up with you. I surender.

Okay, I have never claimed to know as much as you fellows know, but I do have my opinions based on somewhere around 70 years of doing things. I have never been one that has to win, so I lose often. If y'all want to make long shots with your 10mm pistols and bows and arrows, knock yourselves out. I shoot a 460 S&W with a Burris scope on it for long shots. I'll say long for me would be approaching 100 yards and out to 125 or maybe 150 on a really big pig.

I have a 3 1/2 inch 10mm that I shoot hogs with, and perhaps it is the short barrel that keeps my range down to under 50 yards. I have a new 6 inch 1911 in 10mm that I will be trying out for the first time this fall. Maybe that will be a 100-yard shooter with hand-loaded 180 XTPs. It is a Springfield with a factory-installed Trijicon RMR sight and a friend who shoots free-hand shot about a six or 8-inch group of 9 rounds at 100 yards. Me, about a two-foot group. I am not crazy about the 1911 frame. Maybe I'll get used to it. I do love the 6-inch bbl and the RMR red dot sight. But I doubt that I will be making 100-yard shots with the 6-inch Springfield even with a good rest. Just my ethics. I know MY capabilities. For those longer shots, I will use my 460. I know OUR capabilities.
Not love the 1911? I thought to be 'Merican you hadda love God, momma, the Flag and everything ever made by John Moses Browning. I personally believe the man was an angel sent from heaven by God himself to save the world from the Nazis…Mission accomplished!

Not love the 1911? I thought to be 'Merican you hadda love God, momma, the Flag and everything ever made by John Moses Browning. I personally believe the man was an angel sent from heaven by God himself to save the world from the Nazis…Mission accomplished!
I said I am not crazy about the 1911. I did not say I am not crazy. I also don't remember saying anything about being Mexican, though I have wished I was a few times. I am a big fan of John Moses Browning. I bet that if the Sig Sauer P220 in 10mm (I believe the original design was Browning's design) had been around in 1941, the military would have allowed people a choice between the 1911 and the Sig. They may have even allowed the 10mm as their primary round. The 10mm is one great man stopper, even in the coldest winter when criminals are all dressed in thick winter clothing. I believe there was some cold weather back during WWII.

I said I am not crazy about the 1911. I did not say I am not crazy. I also don't remember saying anything about being Mexican, though I have wished I was a few times. I am a big fan of John Moses Browning. I bet that if the Sig Sauer P220 in 10mm (I believe the original design was Browning's design) had been around in 1941, the military would have allowed people a choice between the 1911 and the Sig. They may have even allowed the 10mm as their primary round. The 10mm is one great man stopper, even in the coldest winter when criminals are all dressed in thick winter clothing. I believe there was some cold weather back during WWII.
'Merican, as in American. The 1911 was the service sidearm for all branches of the US military from 1911 through 1985. Its not modern and may no longer be best if theres even a way to determine that. But it is the GOAT. And its a pistol Im crazy about.

'Merican, as in American. The 1911 was the service sidearm for all branches of the US military from 1911 through 1985. Its not modern and may no longer be best if theres even a way to determine that. But it is the GOAT. And its a pistol Im crazy about.
Well, as I said, I am crazy, but not about the 1911 pistol for the way it points for me. I grew up shooting single-action colts. I had a job where stress made some people sometimes forget to take the safety off their 1911s. I did not want an external safety to mess with so I bought a Sig .45 semi-auto with no external safety. Never used it in a high-stress situation, but still do not like external safeties and the 1911 just doesn't point where my hand naturally points. I bought one. I just don't like it all that much.

Went back to check that Mexican thing. Figured out what you were saying. Sometimes I ain't so good with my reading.

Last edited:
I used to use my 8 3/8 model 27. the only restriction I put on my self was the distance I could consistantly hold a 6" group with the Iron Sights I used at the time. For me at the time 100yds from a rest and 50 yard off hand (two hand hold), this was for deer in Maine.

been A member here for a while never post or respond cuz how I hunt and shoot offends a lot of people

but this thread hits home

been bow hunting since the late 70s as well as handgun hunting elmer keith was a great influence do I believe he made a 600 yard shot on a mule deer even walking it out no absolutely not

I've used to 44 mag for many years and know That with iron sights it would be hard to do

but I wasn't there I own hunt with and shoot mostly large bore handguns I'm only on this site to learn how to shoot long range rifles which I have had built over the years

that said comparing a bow to a handgun is a waste of time

to start with there w@s to many great handgun cartridges left out I assume the op went with what he knows

want a 1911 that hammers look at the 460 Roland it's a beast and In the right hands will smoke any of Our whitetails at 100 easily

the 357 is outstanding to 200 yards but I'm a old school reloader been to 350 yards with a 475 linebaugh and the damage it does to steal at that range would no doubt cause problems for any north Texas whitetail

I've tried the custom Bolt handguns they are awesome and if Ernie shows up he'll school y'all on it

not trying to be a dick about this but handgun vs bow is a waste of time

handgun will out perform bow every time at any distance.

Except the sound gets there before the arrow I used to practice at 60 with my spider 30 and kill at 30-40 and I have seen them duck the arrow at around 40 so I back down to around 35 but that's just me anyone else can do what they are good with but they never duck a well turned hand gun.i have a friend who only still hunts with a pistol and he is killing them.
Buck I shot at 85 yards on Tuesday. Buried to the fletch and broke the off-side shoulder. 2" entrance and exit hole. Arrow pushed back through when he tipped over. 523 grain arrow at 284 fps.

How many people hunt stuff like grizzly, Cape buffalo, and elephant with pistols? Maybe more than I'm aware of, but I can't recall seeing many examples.

Attachments

• 3019EC50-7E88-42B7-936F-0202B8C9EF87.jpeg
    3019EC50-7E88-42B7-936F-0202B8C9EF87.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 62
Buck I shot at 85 yards on Tuesday. Buried to the fletch and broke the off-side shoulder. 2" entrance and exit hole. Arrow pushed back through when he tipped over. 523 grain arrow at 284 fps.

How many people hunt stuff like grizzly, Cape buffalo, and elephant with pistols? Maybe more than I'm aware of, but I can't recall seeing many examples.
Nice job

Rent Outdoor Gear: "How many people hunt stuff like grizzly, Cape buffalo, and elephant with pistols? Maybe more than I'm aware of, but I can't recall seeing many examples."
You are not hanging in the Big Bore Handgun Hunting circles. That's why you don't see examples of skilled handgun hunters taking Cape Buffs, elephants, hippos with a revolver.
If you truly want to appreciate the art, and the skill to build such revolvers, head over to youtube and search for the series "Big Iron" with Max Prasac. It will demonstrate how the big bores can take enormous animals you wouldn't dream of poking with an arrow. Prasac also has a few books on the subject.
You can also cruise singleactions.com to learn about the art of handgun hunting, and see pics of successful African & Alaskan game.

Rent Outdoor Gear: "How many people hunt stuff like grizzly, Cape buffalo, and elephant with pistols? Maybe more than I'm aware of, but I can't recall seeing many examples."
You are not hanging in the Big Bore Handgun Hunting circles. That's why you don't see examples of skilled handgun hunters taking Cape Buffs, elephants, hippos with a revolver.
If you truly want to appreciate the art, and the skill to build such revolvers, head over to youtube and search for the series "Big Iron" with Max Prasac. It will demonstrate how the big bores can take enormous animals you wouldn't dream of poking with an arrow. Prasac also has a few books on the subject.
You can also cruise singleactions.com to learn about the art of handgun hunting, and see pics of successful African & Alaskan game.
Sorry, but there's not an animal on this planet that isn't regularly taken down with a bow, so you're 100% wrong about there being an animal I wouldn't dream of shooting with a bow... Archers take plenty of cape buffalo, elephants, griz and every other dangerous game out there. In fact plenty of guys have killed those animals with recurve bows at 60% of the velocity of compounds.

Even Mr. Prasac explains, "The revolver doesn't have a high velocity potential, so we have to rely on and exploit all of the trickery available to us." Meaning he shoots non expanding copper solids to penetrate deeper - kinda like an arrow only less penetration and smaller wound channel. Better be a **** good tracker...

This is comparing apples to oranges. A 40 - 50 draw weight bow with a razor sharp broad head will kill just about anything you put in the boiler room (heart/lungs). Same with just about any pistol cartridge stated using the proper bullets. So dead is dead and I don't know how you can get more lethal than that!