Bow back stop?

zr600

Ok it's cold now. My daughter is doing 4h archery and was wanting to make a back stop for her to practice in the garage at 10 yards or so. She is shooting a Mathew mission craze at the lightest and shortest setting so what would work good for a back stop that would be cheap?

Cardboard. Dont know how many times i made cardboard targets. Ive either put boxes inside boxes or folded as many boxes down and tied them together. Should work if you have access to meat boxes or so

For a more permanent Back stop, cut carpet strips about 1' wide by however long you want your target, stack up to desired height and compress with all thread. You should be able to get the carpet free from local remodels, and with a little effort, end up with a back stop that lasts for a long, long, time.
Another one I saw, but never tried, was a Burlap sack stuffed loosely with sweatshirts.....Stuff looser for low poundage, tighter for high poundage. hang it with a little swing action to absorb energy.
Cardboard works as well, but the above two might last a little longer if she's shooting a bunch!

Burlap bag stuffed with plastic bags, garbage bags etc. Worked for quite a while. Even worked well back when I was shooting the 70 to 80 lb bows.

there are some youtube videos too, if you want to see some ideas tested out.

either way, i would test it outside first. I dont know about everyone else but i hate drywall repair.

$24 at wally world--then just use heavy canvas or carpet for if she misses the target block

3ff95b4c-d118-4865-a5b2-d2cf1e642f2b_1.6e6051fb688d9157496f3229961f9baa.png

Styrofoam insulation 3" buy a 4X8 sheet at a hardware store and cut it into 2'X2' squares and duck tape them together.

Good luck

Jerry

Assuming you are wanting a backstop behind the target, I would go to a farm and ranch store like Tractor Supply or a Big R and get a black rubber horse/livestock mat along with a few chain link fence clips(the ones you would use to secure to the round post)and some bolts and nuts to secure them to the mat. You will also want some eye bolts with lag screw threads, theses would go into ceiling trusses to hang the mat from. A couple links of chain or rope and your set. Hope you can visualize this.

On the cheap side you would want a 4'x8'x1' thick piece of the blue foam. It will wear out quicker and won't tolerate the sun when it gets moved outside in the spring

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.